El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my Autolite plugs in and several are very close to the headers. The heads are aluminum Dart Pro-1 and the headers are Hooker Comp Plus. Year is 72. Angle plug boots have heat socks and the headers are heat wrapped but the boots are almost touching the headers on three plug wires. I was wondering if shorter spark plugs exist? I don’t have the plug PN at hand. But this has to be a common issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Plug part number is AR3911. Problem cylinders are 3, 4, 6 and 8. Pictures of 6 and 3 where the boot is making contact with the header ( with sock and header wrap between). If the sock and header wrap were removed there is about 1/16 inch clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I usually get much better spark plug wire header clearance by running the wires under the headers. The ACCELL has short plugs for your heads. JEG's/SUMMIT has a cross reference chart.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually get much better spark plug wire header clearance by running the wires under the headers. The ACCELL has short plugs for your heads. JEG's/SUMMIT has a cross reference chart.
I will order a set of Accell 0416S shorty plugs and give it a try. Thanks for the tip and advice.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I had a problem with one cylinder and went with the same ones you bought. They work fine.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Hey dieselhead. Did you make your own wire set? Under the headers is a great idea. My wires are not long enough to do what you did. Did you bundle them some how or attach anything to the fire wall so they don't hang down and get to close to the header collection pipes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
"Did you make your own wire set? Under the headers is a great idea. My wires are not long enough to do what you did. Did you bundle them some how or attach anything to the fire wall so they don't hang down and get to close to the header collection pipes."

I bought a set of 8mm racing wires and cut them to fit. I've never worked on a BBC but the SBC has 2 drilled and tapped holes (1/4"X 20 I think) on each side of the block about 1/4" from the top of the block where you can attach spark plug looms. The are located between cylinders 1-3, 5-7, 2-4 and 6-8. At the firewall I attached brackets under the valve cover bolts. I've also cut to fit wires over the valve covers using the valve cover bolts for brackets and got good header clearance with the short header plugs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I’m in a quandary on what to do. I wish the spark plug cross reference tables had the insulator height. I need another 1/8 inch on my four problem plugs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I suggest contacting ACCEL or whoever you bought your plugs from and asking if they have a shorter plug for your application. I don't see how they can call the plugs you have "header" plugs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts