El Camino Central Forum banner

Should there be vacuum lines attached to my q-jet?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  gilby 
#1 ·
The secondaries have NOT worked on this carb since it's been on my 350.
We put a new kick down cable on after we were told that may be the problem, and they're still not opening up.
Should there be some vacuum lines attached to this carb? I don't know a lot about carbs and am afraid to start adjusting things on it, for fear of making it worse. Woody has offered many suggestions but like I said, I'm afraid to start monkeying with adjustments and end up with it not running at all. It idles and runs great, but the secondaries are NOT opening up when I mash on it, or when it shifts into different gears like my old one did. It's basically like I've got a 2 barrel on it. It just seems to me that there should be vacuum lines attached to it somewhere. I can see 3 different things capped off that look as if they should have vacuum lines connected.
I want to hear and feel that surge of the secondaries opening up!!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
I can shoot a video for you to show how everythings supposed to look when I go out in a few. Videos work a lot better than describing it over the phone.:beer:
That would be very helpful! It's hard trying to be guided by phone when I have no idea of what I'm doing or what is what. I've googled it and haven't been able to see a good image of how it should look. THANKS!!

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I think I fixed my problem of the secondaries not opening up! We put the new kick down cable on, and adjusted it but still couldn't get the secondaries to open. I went to O'reilly's and spent $6.00 on new caps for the vacuum ports on my Q-jet, and I finally felt and heard the secondaries open up when I nailed it from a 40 mph roll! :nanawrench:

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I KNEW it had to have something to do with the kick down cable too! I'm going to take it out today and make sure it's running how it should be! Thanks for the help everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.