El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 that shudders when i go into reverse, but mainly when idling. Also when idling in drive I get quite a vibration...which goes away when I step on the gas. When I bought it (which was recently) , it had sat for a year beforehand. I've changed the oil, ran some fuel system cleaner through it, and am driving the crap out of it to try and clean it out. I noticed that after a few weeks of really running it, the vibration I mentioned when idling in drive now only lasts a couple seconds whenever i have to stop at a light or whatever...only to be replaced by a light tapping which also goes away when I step on the gas. nevertheless the reverse shuddering is still here. I'm not a mechanic so I'm confused. I do have a guy fixing up my other problems but I figured it was worth a shot to see if I could get any advice/tips on this one in particular.
thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
First thought is tranmission mount for vibration (do you feel a lurch when you put it into gear?)

Second thought is transmission fluid. I had a similar shudder when going into reverse which would sometimes stall the engine (THM200) when mine was new to me. A fluid and filter change has made a TON of difference. Overall smoother shifting and now the reverse shift is effortless.

Changing your fluid/filter yourself is easy. Remove the pan by lowering the front more than the back to allow the fluid to drain. Remove pan, wipe out to clean up all dirt and particles. Replace filter. Clean both mating surfaces of pan and transmission. Reinstall pan. Check out THIS LINK for tips on putting the transmission pan back on. Fill with the appropriate GM rated transmission fluid.

Two simple thing you can do/check before digging deep into your pockets for a new tranny.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I agree --i have found that 75% of tranny problems can be solved with an fluid and filter change--dosent help much if you blew it up tho:poke:--try it what do you have to loose?/ only costs a few bucks and about an hour??:dontknow::dontknow: Glenn

·
Registered
682 Posts
id go with jon on this, that tapping could be a lobe on the cam or a bent pushrod that will only tap at a certain rpm speed---u will hear a tapping rocker arm(might sounds kinda like a small exhaust leak while your driving)---, or maybe its the lifters(when u drop it in gear the rpms drop and u can hear them)

try and swap the filter on the tranny and if it still continues add a quart of tranny fluid to the oil. drive it every day for 4-5days and put 100-200miles on it then change the oil. the tranny fluid is alot thinner and builds up the lifters. besure to change the oil after a couple days tho.

another thought, maybe the u-joint dried up while it was sitting, that can cause the vibration, might wanna swap it out or at least re-grease them up while your under it. seen the u-joints cause problems when u drop it in reverse

wow got all into that :) didnt mean to get all talkitive to yall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts