El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I made a post not too long ago about finding this kit online that allows the use of a stock F-body Clutch hydraulics system for use in my T56 swap and I ended up purchasing it to try it out.
Starting with the basics would probably be the WHY of purchasing this kit. Most people (myself included) end up mounting a universal clutch master cylinder directly to the firewall, in my case below the wiper motor. There are a couple issues with doing so. One is that the firewall is way too flimsy to support the repeated pressures the master experiences and over time the firewall will fatigue and crack much as mine did. The second problem is that in conjunction with clutch pedal placement, the pedal geometry is way off when compared to a stock system for a T56 as would be found in an F-body or GTO. This results in an unusually heavy pedal that ends up being a bear to use in day to day driving.

This kit has a quarter inch thick steel bracket that's sandwiched in between the brake booster and the reinforced part of the firewall the booster mounts to, solving both the issue of reliability in mounting as well as the pedal geometry.

I won't go through all of the installation as that can be found online but the basics are that the master cylinder rod goes through the firewall through the original cruise control hole, with a little modification as can be seen in the pictures below. The pedal assembly is removed and rebuilt with their supplied pedal both to hook up to the master correctly as well as to have the pedal travel stop on the floor without overextending the clutch slave. In one of the pictures below I compared the new supplied pedal to the old clutch pedal I was using. When I originally did the T56 install several years ago, I added this physical pedal stop as I was having the aforementioned overextension problems without it.

Lastly are the clutch hydraulics themselves. I got a stock F-body master, braided clutch line, and slave from the local auto parts store for the install and everything bolted in perfectly. I personally like to use off the shelf components wherever possible as I like to drive my car and there's a level of peace of mind knowing that should something fail, replacement components are only a trip to the store away as opposed to dealing with shipping.

Now that the car is all back together, the clutch actually feels like a stock clutch unlike the dump truck it previously felt like. Overall I'd say it was worth the money considering the benefits and ease of installation. I'm sure there aren't a ton of people on here with T56s but for anyone considering doing a manual transmission swap and wanting to use a hydraulic setup, this may be your best bet. I know this kit has been used with other transmissions on the Monte Carlo forums but I can only comment on the kit based off how I used it.

PXL_20210109_213441525.jpg

PXL_20210110_003030276.jpg

PXL_20210110_023721543.jpg

PXL_20210110_031151331.jpg

PXL_20210110_221334955.jpg

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
129 Posts
Great write-up! Any time there's a Manual Transmission modification, upgrade or install to a G-Body, especially an El Camino, you have my props!

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,686 Posts
Well done Grasshopper ! Looking forward to seeing it at our upcoming Hot Cars Show on Jan. 30 , if you can make it .

Reactions: squag27

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So long as I don't get another bug to tear it apart to fix something between now and then, it'll be there Lenny!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
So I made a post not too long ago about finding this kit online that allows the use of a stock F-body Clutch hydraulics system for use in my T56 swap and I ended up purchasing it to try it out.
Starting with the basics would probably be the WHY of purchasing this kit. Most people (myself included) end up mounting a universal clutch master cylinder directly to the firewall, in my case below the wiper motor. There are a couple issues with doing so. One is that the firewall is way too flimsy to support the repeated pressures the master experiences and over time the firewall will fatigue and crack much as mine did. The second problem is that in conjunction with clutch pedal placement, the pedal geometry is way off when compared to a stock system for a T56 as would be found in an F-body or GTO. This results in an unusually heavy pedal that ends up being a bear to use in day to day driving.
Have the same kit in my Camino, dude ships quickly and it's a quality piece. Works like a charm, thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having driven it for close to a week now though, one thing I did have to do was add a heat shield sleeve to my clutch line as it was starting to boil the fluid with how close it was to cylinder 7 of my long tube headers. The LT1 style T56 doesn't have a bleed screw like the later model ones have but if you pop off the slave cylinder and actuate the pushrod by hand with the reservoir cap off it will still bleed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts