El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1979 El Camino Straight 6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stupid question. I have a 1979 El Camino with original Sideview mirrors. They are in really good shape and look good but they won’t stay in position. Is there a way to tighten them or do I have to purchase new mirrors?

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
471 Posts
Is there not a screw behind the swivel? There usually is. Can blend in to its surroundings and make you not see it right away. Take a closer look around the ball joint and see if there’s a set screw.

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
471 Posts
Kinda sucks not having an adjustable one. You can buy similar styles that have the adjustment screw for around $60 a pair, or you can use loctite to glue it in position. Once that ball joint wears out you’re not left with a whole lot of options.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,480 Posts
Last time I saw one of those type mirrors on the inside, behind the glass, there was 2 standoffs with a bar between them. That bar was what holds the ball tight in the socket. If it wears or disforms, it leaves the ball loose in the socket, mirrors move to much, easily.

So now you have a decision, see if its right and modify the hold down bar to make it tighter, and get replacement glass if you bust it trying to get it out, or get new mirrors, because as noted by others, without that setscrew adjustment, your other options are highly limited.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts