El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a completely stock very clean 85 camino. I would like a little more sound from the stock exhaust but don't want to go the expense for a complete dual exhaust set up. Just want a little more sound. Was thinking about replacing the stock muffler with a single inlet / dual outlet muffler with two tail pipes behind the rear wheels. Don't want too loud but a little louder than stock. Has anyone done this? I think this is what was done on many camaros from the factory. If you have done this, what brand of muffler, pipe size, and a photo would be helpful. Will this stock set up off of a camaro fit? If so, what year?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
1 in 2 out

years ago i did this with my 85 v6 The muffler place i went to would not do it because of emission. paid him cash no receipt and he put a muffler from a olds wagon diesel 1 in 2 out tips dumped out behind rear wheels. sounds was better than stock but not as nice as a true dual

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
2012-06-24 17.11.27-1.jpg

2012-06-24 17.10.57-1.jpg

2012-06-24 17.10.46-1.jpg . Here's pics of my 87 elky with a stock 305, cat, and Magnaflow stainless , single in, dual out, exhaust. The pipe diameter is 2 1/2. I get a nice mellow tone in the cab and zero drone at any speed. The muffler was $120 and the install with pipe was $50. They dump as you can see, behind the rear tire and. Since its a stainless and aluminized exhaust, I should have no rust problem. If you need any more pics just let me know. I have just bought a true dual cross member so the collecting for a complete system has begun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put a 3" in and dual 2-1/2" out Edelbrock stainless steel muffler in the stock (transverse) location on my '87 and routed them out side by side behind the RH rear wheel. This is a little louder than you might want, but looks okay. I don't think Edelbrock sells mufflers anymore, but a lot of different makers do. This setup has a 18" X 8" X 4" muffler.

I have some pictures, but don't know how to post them...:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
2012-05-30 12.39.39-1.jpg

2012-03-06 16.39.04-1.jpg . A couple more pics to show the side view of the exhaust pipe. Be sure and have the pipe on the drivers side cut back so that if you overfill tje gas tank, it does not spill onto the hot pipe. Could cause a disaster.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Exactly why I sent them both out the passenger side. My muffler has the inlet on the driver's side and both outlets on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have a single pipe in & 2 out the rear via flowmaster & it sounds GREAT ! That's what everyone tells me.I want to put in true duals but I don't think it could sound any better.No cat here.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Check your local mufler shop or parts store. There is a kit called CatBack that splits at the catalytic converter to a dual system. Not sure what company makes them, but in my area there plenty of newer vehicles opting for the rumble fever. A friend near me has this system on his 86 Elky, but it was installed when he bought it so he knows not where or what company it came from.
If its available here in Ontario, I am sure that it came from the USA somewhere.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
I have a Flowmaster Camaro muffler to get the 2 tailpipes. Also ran 2" all the way back from the cat.

·
Registered
852 Posts
as stated above, go with an 80s camaro muffler, single in, and dual out. it wont affect emmissions at all, if your car is eqquipped with o2 sensors, theyll be up front near the cat and Y pipe.

magnaflow, flowmaster, borla and spintech make a variety of mufflers to do about anything you wanna build

1 - 13 of 13 Posts