El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a WEIAND X-celerator Single Pane intake Manifold.

Got it for free, with less than 1500 miles on it.

But the P.O. painted in black, and i always heard rumors that painting the manifold keeps heat in and is bad for the motor.

Should i be worried? or is it no big deal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently picked up a WEIAND X-celerator Single Pane intake Manifold.

Got it for free, with less than 1500 miles on it.

But the P.O. painted in black, and i always heard rumors that painting the manifold keeps heat in and is bad for the motor.

Should i be worried? or is it no big deal.

Its actually a single plane, vs. a dual plane which is more likely what you should be looking for. The single plane manifolds generally make there power higher up in the RPM band. Usually a dual plane is more suited to a street driver.

I wouldn't worry about the paint other than having it peel eventually & start looking shabby. I have painted freshly bead blasted aluminum & have had mixed results. There used to be a real good aluminum primer that would make paint stick to aluminum. Unfortunately it has been removed from the market.

~JM~

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
unless you are running a lot of healthy motor and a 4 or 5 speed on the street a single plane is not the manifold to use.you will loose a lot of bottom end power and torque

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was gonna go on my 383 stroker.

Most of bottom end is complete, got heads(not built up yet), and a lot of other stuff.

should be pushing 450-500 H.P. (not a daily driver, but not a strip car,)

Was lookin at maybe a weekend warrior. All new parts on a 1971 block.

No tranny(yet)

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Single plane good for the track, bad for the street. You won,t like it for cruising or commuting.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright ... ill find a dual plane then. Thanks. Anyone have one they wanna get rid of? Haha. Or wanna buy a single pane?? Lol..just playing. (Or am I?:secret:)

Hoping I could save a buck here :/ thanks for all the advice.. id rather find out now then after I installed it.

Well again. Thanks for all the advice .:beer:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, One is coming up here on the 15th of may (or near that date).

I'll be there. Offloading some of my 350 parts. im going with a buddy getting rid of a few BBC from his garage.

Here is to hoping i can find some good deals. :beer:

But, i have no problem buying new if needed, Just takes a bit more time...

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I have a Edelbrock Performer Rpm Air Gap #7501 manifold. I want to sell. Used less than 500 miles. Perfect condition. Paid Summit $230.00. I"ll sell it for $185 inc parcel post shipping. Want it? Pm me. I had a chance to buy a dual quad setup. I am not using it. Guaranteed perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts