El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many have slept under the stars in the bed of your cruck?
With a sleeping bag or made up bed ?
while camping?
While on a date?

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I haven't YET, but two of my kids have slept in the bed of my Elky under the stars. Like they were on a camping trip complete with sleeping bags. My 15 year old son slept IN the cab of his the first night he got his 82 a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I've done it once, thirty eight years ago with the first wife on a weekend trip to the Fla. key's. Had a tonneau cover on that one. And, yes we did.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I've done it once, thirty eight years ago with the first wife on a weekend trip to the Fla. key's. Had a tonneau cover on that one. And, yes we did.[/QUOTE]

he said sleeping!

:poke:

:nanawrench:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
All the time camping. I went for two weeks from Bishop to Bridgeport fishing every lake and stream I could get to and i fish before the sun comes up till it's dark so no reason to put up a tent. I'm so tired after cooking a burger that bed is home sweet home. If it's cold I sleep on the bench seat. The feet are by the floor but it works just fine with the sleeping bag as a blanket. Never tried to sleep under it yet.:poke: Also had a bear in the back and couldn't throw anything at it probably miss and break the window so now i carry a boat air horn.
Robert

This is off hwy 38 the back way to Big Bear you couldn't find it without a topo map.

·
Registered
929 Posts

Slept in the cab a couple times on long trips, never slept in the bed. Gonna have to give it a try. Use to have a sailboat that I would sleep in all the time, sleeping under the stars is great.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
any chance I get,Yeah BuDDy...:beer:
:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
any chance I get,Yeah BuDDy...:beer:
:beer:
If they can't ruff it a twin air mattress works better than sleeping inside. I would do it here but you may never here from me again.:secret:

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,609 Posts
James , not sure if it exactly qualifies as " sleeping under the stars " , but in 83 I bought a new El Camino and drove it west for three weeks . On the way , my girlfriend and I added a low profile topper to it . Most times we would set up the tent and other times when we were so tired from a long drive we moved out the bins of stuff and slept in the bed . We went from the southern Fl. Keys to The Tetons , Yellowstone , Glacier Park , The Badlands and points in between . What a blast !

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have 2 15 lb nitrous bottles that sleep in the bed of my truck. I'm hoping to finish hooking them up when I go back to Florida in a few weeks. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
James , not sure if it exactly qualifies as " sleeping under the stars " , but in 83 I bought a new El Camino and drove it west for three weeks . On the way , my girlfriend and I added a low profile topper to it . Most times we would set up the tent and other times when we were so tired from a long drive we moved out the bins of stuff and slept in the bed . We went from the southern Fl. Keys to The Tetons , Yellowstone , Glacier Park , The Badlands and points in between . What a blast !
Lenny... that actually sounds kind of cool. Like camping out in the back of the Elky. That's about the only way to get me to go camping too... sleeping in the back of the elky so I'm not on the ground near all those creepy bugs. I keep looking at craigslist to find a elky to buy to "hold me over" till my big project is complete. :beer:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,540 Posts
Well, I've never "slept" in the bed. :poke:

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Lenny... that actually sounds kind of cool. Like camping out in the back of the Elky. That's about the only way to get me to go camping too... sleeping in the back of the elky so I'm not on the ground near all those creepy bugs. I keep looking at craigslist to find a elky to buy to "hold me over" till my big project is complete. :beer:
Micheal, theres been some around the Lakeland area lately.

One that looks pretty clean but seems over priced and one that might be a good deal.

Look in the Ebay/CL forum for that one, I think its a 79.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I am thinking I'll have to buy one down in Florida. I moved up here and brought my trailer with me. Most of what I have seen up north has rust.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Yep put me down for sleeping in the bed. If i didnt have ol lumpy it would have been worse, go figure.....

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I used to do it all the time back in the mid 80's, I had a '79 Conquista. I kept a 2 person dome tent with me in case of rain, I would set it up and stick it in the bed, but only if it was going to rain.:texas:

·
Registered
559 Posts
You all have such awesome trip stories about sleeping your elky's I just had a mattress in the back of mine for about a month in high school until it rained and I had to bring it to the dump. Was fun while it lasted.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,609 Posts
El Corvino , good to hear from you and glad to see you are doing well . For those of you that have not seen Michaels El Camino build , click onto his gallery photos and treat yourself to a great project . Those of you that have not " slept " in the bed or had a mattress back there will have to fill us in at the next get together . :beer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts