El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

Titled, Registered and as the bug shield says On The Road Again!
(Bug shield temporary, paying homage to my father in laws 88 S-10 )
Road tests, adjustments and debugging done. Calibrated speedo, runs, drives, shifts, stops etc.
Put some 50 miles on it with no "events"
Scored an aftermarket radio, cheap from the local yard so I have some tunes.

Ready for some cruisin, and wait for the warmer weather to start the body work.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,608 Posts
Nice job Sleepy, what seats and console did you use
R/T

·
1,608 Posts
Do you by any chance know what model Acura do you. They are sweet.

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
OK so after some "shakedown" miles a few issues need to be addressed prior to starting body work.
1) Driveline Vibration due to a "bent" driveshaft. Has about .050" whip to it, used some hose clamps to temporarily "balance" it but it needs to be dealt with. Can not find a drive shaft shop here in SC, back in NJ I could get this fixed for under $100 in a half dozen shops. Cant find a "yard" shaft and that would be questionable as likely bent from the fork lift used to move them.
2) Need to change the Rear Ratio. Stock it was 2:41"open" gear. It was changed out to a 4:10 posi by the previous owner. Presently revs over 3000 rpm @ 60 mph w 225/60x15 tires. Looking to go back to stock or at least near stock ratio.
Other than that so far no leaks, runs great, stops good and fun to drive.

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So after about 300 miles of shakedown trips no additional issues! Once the weather gets better will start some body work to whip this thing into shape.
Still on the hunt for a reasonably priced driveshaft and rear but all is well.

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Update after 700 miles: Using it daily as my run around ride.
Weeping water pump replaced, would just weep slightly overnight, swapped it out to avoid a breakdown.
Starter that I had just cleaned up enough to work crapped out, fortunately in the driveway. Tore it down for a good refurb, new brushes and solenoid, good as new now.
Finally found a driveshaft shop that made up a new shaft for me. No more vibrations and drives even better than ever.
New gear set and parts on order to swap the rear gears out to 2.73 to get some better mileage.
I cant believe the compliments and comments I get even with the body rot it has. Bought a welder, body work next on the list after the rear is done.

·
Premium Member
10,173 Posts
Very cool, that it is running great. Best of luck with the body work. I had to do some on mine, so I understand some of the challenges.

·
1,608 Posts
Sounds like you are getting things sorted out.
Don't you just love praise....
Wait until you get the body work done.
A lot of folks really like them

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So ... After removing and opening up the rear it appears the carrier was replaced with a "Series 3" limited slip assembly.
After some research I have ordered a 3.23 ratio gear set as it is the "lowest" ratio gear set that will bolt on a series 3 carrier.

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
While waiting for parts I decided to clean up the wheels.
Attempts to clean up as is were unsuccessful.

After stripping the clear coat I was able to make the look like this :

Now the question is how to keep them looking good.
Clear coat?
Clear Coat with adhesion promoter first?
Wax ? Zaino, Ceramic?
Suck it up and polish then regularly?
Open to any suggestions and experiences.

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I do not have powder coating equipment and doubt the wife would appreciate me baking wheels in the oven LOL.
(Although I have been known to bake headlights and other parts over the years)

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So the polished wheels got a coat of Zaino on the outside and Duplicolor Wheel Clear on the backsides to see how it holds up. Finally got the gear set and swapped in the 3.23 gears. Setting up gears was a bit of work but backlash and patterns are spot on.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts