El Camino Central Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
R/T, I hope your envy is tied to our abilities to DO repairs and NOT for having such extensive projects to work on. Lol! Some of us are blessed with repairs on our classic cars which keep us busy. Regardless of the project or task, I always experience a level of satisfaction when I'm done and enjoy saying to myself...I did that. (y)

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
UPDATED Post #9
RIT DYE Job for carpets did NOT last. Do Not Waste Your Time!
El Camino spends most of it's time in the garage and yet the carpet has faded back to as bad as it was in the past. Guess I will try Spray Dye/paint next to see if it lasts.
(I did the door panel carpeted areas and it is ok)
Right side quarter panel patches on order so more body work updates soon.

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Right side patch panels sitting around for a while now. Guess in need to get busy, they won't put themselves on LOL.
This happened to show up in a local yard: :oops:o_O:love:

The much needed fender and hood are virtually rust free. Cargo Tie Downs along with a bunch of other misc items all for le$$ than the cost of a repro hood or fender :D:cool::D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hope you grabbed all of those front turn signals, GMC grill, radiator and condenser rubber bushings. I see it is an AC equipped vehicle. Does your '78 have AC? I installed a factory AC system into my '78 over the course of the last two summers, only thing mine needs now is to hook up the lines, flush, and charge the system, then possibly a pressure switch and/or vacuum lines checked.

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Listed as a 78 but had 79 tail lights. Door jammed so I could not check the sticker, forgot to look at the VIN
Was hit so hard the rear axle tube and housing are busted badly.
Well I only grabbed what I needed. Front signal lights bleached white and lenses "crazed" pretty badly. Grill was fair but mine is a Chevy so I left it. No my 78 is not an A/C car and I have considered swapping in "factory A/C". My refurbished non AC dash pad is perfect, along with the "unknowns" of controls, vacuum motors, vacuum ball, used evaporator, condenser and compressor, lines, hosed, etc. I think it will be more prudent to install an aftermarket kit when the time comes.
Rad was gone, what appeared to be a replacement condenser (Spectra) was beat up also.
It does have Power Windows and Door Locks but I'm not sure its worth the hassle to swap.
I also grabbed the 79 tail lights as my 78's are a little rough and cracked.

This was set aside in the "special" area of the yard. Had to go into the office and get "permission" to harvest parts (at a slight premium vs non vintage parts) When I returned to pull my parts there was a young man there on the phone with his dad. They have a 81 Royal Knight project in process. They need the bed rail trim along with other stuff and he was planning to return the next day to pull his stuff.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Listed as a 78 but had 79 tail lights. Door jammed so I could not check the sticker, forgot to look at the VIN
Was hit so hard the rear axle tube and housing are busted badly.
Well I only grabbed what I needed. Front signal lights bleached white and lenses "crazed" pretty badly. Grill was fair but mine is a Chevy so I left it. No my 78 is not an A/C car and I have considered swapping in "factory A/C". My refurbished non AC dash pad is perfect, along with the "unknowns" of controls, vacuum motors, vacuum ball, used evaporator, condenser and compressor, lines, hosed, etc. I think it will be more prudent to install an aftermarket kit when the time comes.
Rad was gone, what appeared to be a replacement condenser (Spectra) was beat up also.
It does have Power Windows and Door Locks but I'm not sure its worth the hassle to swap.
I also grabbed the 79 tail lights as my 78's are a little rough and cracked.

This was set aside in the "special" area of the yard. Had to go into the office and get "permission" to harvest parts (at a slight premium vs non vintage parts) When I returned to pull my parts there was a young man there on the phone with his dad. They have a 81 Royal Knight project in process. They need the bed rail trim along with other stuff and he was planning to return the next day to pull his stuff.
Those '79 taillights are different, but not hard to rewire if you know how to do auto electric work. The '79 uses a couple of little 194 bulbs as taillights, plus one 1157 bulb as brake/turn. The '78 used multiple (two I think) 1157 bulbs as brake/turn. Of course, both versions also have backup lights, the '78 being outboard, and the '79 inboard. My taillights came from a '79 Malibu wagon.
Car Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

61 - 67 of 67 Posts