El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure this is a softball...

I've got a 72' El Camino with a 350 & Quadrajet carb. It runs great but when it's cold it's verrrry slow to start. I turn the key and it starts turning over... and keeps turning over... sometimes for 5 or 6 seconds. I've noticed that if I pump the gas once it usually fires right up. Otherwise it might take a few tries before it actually starts. Once it's warm the problem goes away.

What's the deal?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Normal procedure for a carbureted vehicle is to depress the accelerator once or twice to the floor then let off and start the vehicle. Fuel injected cars have no accelerator pump but have a pressurized fuel system so you do not touch the accelerator pedal at all during starting. The gas can evaporate out of the carb. from sitting for a time or from heat soak, my Elky can sit for weeks at a time and then I have to turn it over for a bit to get gas up to the carb. to fill it enough to start. I kinda like that because it gets a chance to get oil circulating before starting after sitting that long, I grew up with carb,'s so it is old hat to me but the fuel injection generation can get confused.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
My 85 and 87 one pump in the morning and my 69 two pumps. starts almost all the time.:bigups:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply. There's one other symptom that may be related. Curious to hear if this is also expected...

On first starting it up when it's cold I usually have to let it run for a minute to warm up, otherwise when I put it in drive and start to press the gas it will often stall. Is that also normal? It never does this once it's warm, but it will do this even after running it for a minute or so. Same thing in drive or reverse. I have noticed it helps if I start out in low gear (L1) and then shift up to D once I get going.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
When it's cold...

...a minute is not very long! Takes awhile for things to get moving and fluids circulating! I always let mine warm up for a few minutes before taking off! Longer if I'm not in a hurry! Either to cool down in the summer or warm up in the winter! :bigups:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts