El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heater (blower) blows instrument light fuse, and heater fuse has no voltage at all (no matter ignition switch position). It also seems that bulb test (brake, coolant indicator) do not work. Ground and/or ignition switch problem?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
maybe i have check wrong heater fuse... 81 fuse junction box is not same as 79, which owners manual i have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fact that my car has been unused for couple years prolly explains all electrical problems (and others as well :) Is fuse box removable for cleaning all contacts?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If the blower is blowing fuses then I'd say your blower motor is bad or one of the resistors is bad, probably the motor. I don't think there is a common path to the instrument panel. Have you checked the flex circuit on the instrument panel and lights for a problem?

Sometimes when the blower motors get old and start to go bad they burn the contact plug on the firewall creating a high impedance issue and in turn that creates more heat and can corrode and contaminate the contacts. Find that plug and clean it then squeeze it a little for a better contact or replace the plug.

Anyway it is just a guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you Pete, good guess is much better than nothing. I check blower motor by connecting 12V (16A fuse) from to battery blower switch (brown lead). No problem, motor is ok, but...
voltage on that brown lead from fuse box? to blower switch is 0-12V (same as instrument lights). The fuse that blew was for instrument light.

I have checked that flexible circuit, looks ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts