El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the problem, got a fairly fresh 454, approx 3000 miles, after driving for a half hour or so and the motor at operating temp ,i shut it off let it sit for 20 minutes or so and after restarting i noticed a small cloud of white smoke, just for a second, then all was fine,i then reved her up and still all clear,i then drove it with friend behind me ,still all fine ,then gunned her good, still all fine, and ran strong and smooth as always.The only thing i did that i dont normally do, is i pumped the pedal once before starting it on a heat soaked motor, (thought maybe it would start stronger or quicker),so i shut it down waited a half hour and tryed again with another pump of the pedal and again a small puff of white smoke, shut it off and let sit another half hour and this time i started it up with NO pump of the pedal and just a very small wisp of white smoke that was barely visable??????? Dont think its a head gasket because theres no bubbles in antifreese, the oil is fresh and clear and not milky and antifreese looks clean and green with no visible oil, and radiator is full,heads and valve seals were fresh with motor rebuild, also with approx. 3000 miles , so i dont think its valve seals??? Any opinions would help me out !!!!!:dontknow: Could it be the start of a blown head gasket???:dontknow:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
There is a slim chance when assembly the heads a
vavle seal was torn .... just a thought.
:beer:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
With only 3k on the engine i wouldnot worry about it right now,you will be chasing your tail ,the engine temp is good,no water in the oil, the coolant looks good starts fine drives fine, i dont know who built the engine so cant tell you alot, just drive it its a long way from being brokin in. :texas:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the machine shop that did your heads may have reamed your guides and if so you will get that puff especially if they used umbrella seals on the valve stems.when they ream instead of replaceing a worn guide they leave a thread like finish inside the guide which will allow the engine to suck the oil down the valve stem. and give you that little puff when you start it.if this is the case the bad thing is reamed guides dont last very long before they are looser than before they were reamed and will need repair again .big block guides are replaceable,on a big block i always replace the guides over reaming or sleeveing them.then the heads are sound and tight for 100,000 miles. they could have used cheap seals or omitted the o ring below the keepers. its an awful lot of possabilities for this.tighten the intake bolts when the engine is hot to make sure its not sucking oil under the gasket.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
called shop (r&e racing in calif.) they said guides where replaced and not reamed ?but u never know ?at second look i noticed my antifreese is around 2 inches lower than full,i diluted my mixture after winter storage and went from 50% antifreese to around 25% for summer driving,warmed it up and drove a couple times and checked level and it was pretty close to the top of radiator but now 2 inches low,hmmmmm??shop said possible intake water passage leak? gunna check warm start with cap off and no pressure and see if she blows any smoke or steam and check for bubbles in antifreese? any way to confirm a intake water passage leak ,the smoke on warm start is definitly WHITE not bluish white or blue makes me think its steam from antifreese,and im sure its not condensation from a cold morning start,because it happens only after well warmed to operating temp after driving,this is my 3rd season of driving with new motor never had this issue before now??? whatya think??

·
813 Posts
My elky sits for long periods of time, when I changed out the stock valve covers I noticed a little white film on the underside of the valve cover.

My problem is I do not have a PCV valve hooked up right now and it is not pulling the condensation out. When the engine is up to operating temp it goes away.

If there is condensation it will also be in the header or manifold, so it will puff white smoke. If it is steam coming out then it may be a head gasket.

I use Lucas Engine breakin additive for extra Zinc needed, on every oil change

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it only happens when motor is warm and after driving and only puffs white smoke at start up after well warmed (190 degree) dosent blow any white smoke when driving, reving at idle or stomping the pedal while driving only when i start warmed

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Anthony, why do you drop the content of antifreeze in the summer?? If you do, you also drop the boiling point of your coolant (water/antifreeze).

Mark, iffin' ya don't have a PCV, you're gonna have condensation in your oil. Over time, it will become milky because there's NO ventilation to the engine. An oil filler cap does NOT furnish ventilation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BEEPSTER, i drop the antifreeze amount in the summer for better cooling with the big block just as a precaution i also sometimes add some water wetter,kinda over kill but better safe than sorry stuck at a stop light in 100 degree weather,either way never had a problem with over heating,and with 25% coolant and the rest water even without the water wetter my boil over is still around 260 degrees not much diffrence than a 50% mixture but water dissapates heat much better than antifreeze,as im sure u already know, and yes i run a PCV, and no excessive build up of oil in the vac. line so i dont think thats my problem?? Im just wondering if the weaker solution of coolant could be the cause of lower coolant level,but with my luck its probably a head gasket starting to go or possibly intake water passage leak, guess i should get ahold of a pressure tester to make sure ??

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i think i would suspect the valve seals or guides.if you had an intake water leak it would show up in the oil, pretty remote for it to get into the intake port and not show up in the oil.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Have you pressure tested the cooling system? That would be a good place to start and eliminate at least one of the "OMG" possibilities.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
X2 on pressure testing the cooling system and then I'd retorque the intake to make sure the water isn't being sucked into the intake...been there done that, on both small blocks and big blocks especially with aluminum heads....Dan

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Next time you start hot, get a whiff of the smoke, & see if it smells familiar, like coolant, or maybe even ATF....
Good catch on the ATF...it also makes white smoke and the modulator valve can cause this issue.....Dan

·
Senior Member Participating Member
831 Posts
anthony, I feel your radiator water level is normal if youre not using a expansion container.:yell:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts