El Camino Central Forum banner

Small world isn`t it ?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Lenny Carey 
#1 ·
I`m sure it has happened to some of you that sometimes we are surprised by something totally out of the blue and unexpected . Some months ago a group of us were at the St. Augustine Antique Car Museum Show in St. Augustine , Florida for a couple of days . My drive was 455 miles one way while others like Chuck , Brant and Kyle drove 271miles one way . A few days after returning to Key West , I found myself sitting in the office of car repair shop that I had worked a summer job when it was a tire and battery shop back in high school . It had belonged to my ex-wife`s family . I had not seen or talked with my ex-wife for probably 25 years ( we were on good terms ) , when I got a phone call from her that very day ! She said that for over a couple of week she was constantly thinking about me so she called someone and got my newer phone number . A pleasant surprise was that she has been living near the St. Augustine Museum all these years and did not realize we were a few blocks away .

#4 · (Edited)
LOL . Fortunately my wife never complains about all my road trips as she says she trusts me and it keeps me off the sleeper couch . She laughed at this post I made and reminded me of last week . I have had my 87 for over 20 years and after buying a 59 I recently decided I needed to sell it . At a show and shine here in the Key West , Florida area I attended , I decided to put a for sale sign on it . A car guy from Massachusetts checked it out and we put it on the lift at home for him to see . He liked it so much that he bought it on the spot . Steve said to me that he was taking the 87 to Mass and this is probably the last time I would see it before he shipped it off . My wife meets several neighbors at a nearby nature preserve where they walk several miles with their dogs . She came home laughing and told me that one of the guys that walks with them just received a text from his friend that happened to be in Mass on vacation . His friend dis not see the owner around but saw a beautiful 87 Camino with a windshield sticker that said " Key West Hurricane re-entry sticker " . Hey , that Camino turned out to be the one I just sold !

#8 ·
Cyberray , Not sure if me or my wife laughed the hardest seeing the photos you found somewhere . She said to thank you for my 15 minutes of fame . The car show was at the Schooner Wharf Bar in Key West , Fl. and might be cool to Google the bar . The baseball photo is from the last alumni game for Key West High School . If interested , the guy third from the right standing is Randy Sterling that was 4 th overall pick of the New York Mets and made it to the majors . The one standing 6 th from the right is George Mira an All American Quarterback for the U. Of Miami ( # was retired by Miami ) , played in the NFL for 8 seasons as well as 5 in the Canadian football and World Football league . Standing 4th from the right is Boog Powell who played 17 seasons in the Majors with a 339 home runs and a slugging percentage of .462 . Boog was a prominent first baseman when the Baltimore Orioles won 4 American League pennants and two World Series . Leo , I told the new owner of my 87 about NECOA and he said that he is interested in checking us out .

#10 ·
Leo , I got a phone message from the owner that recently purchased my 87 . He said he plans on joining NECOA . He has taken the 87 to several shows in his area of Sterling , Mass. With the paint etc. he says it is very popular at the shows as it is different with the paint and Conch Shell graphics . Cyberray , you are right when we see an old photo of friends or yourself from the past . I wish we had taken more photos but growing up when we did , very few of us had a camera or could afford a video camera when they came out . Remember how big and clumsy they were compared to the ones today . Do you others have some old photos ?

#11 ·
Not me obviously but my 1st gsd, Gretchen. Early 80s.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Herding dog

#13 ·
Chris , Yes , those guys graduated from Key West High School as well as those in the photo for the alumni game . George Mira was both a very talented and a very good guy . Even after his successes in pro football , he never changed . He grew up around the corner from me and had two brothers that excelled in football , baseball and golf . George opened up the Pizza Huddle eatery that his parents ran for years that was good and your sister may well have eaten there . After retiring , George would make up and sell batches of great Conch Fritter batter . Most of the others either played college baseball , football or pro football . George lived in Miami after his career and often came down to Key West .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.