El Camino Central Forum banner

smell of burning coolant

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  87next2last1 
#1 ·
Ok i haven't figured this one out yet so i though i would ask the experts:poke: every time i get in my car and drive like 100 yards down the rode or so ill always smell the sweet smell of burning coolant. Ive got a edelbrock 2701 intake on my car with a 305 and it was leaking oil at the front so i took it off and put new gaskets and rtv. Torqued it down to 20ft pounds got it running again drive it down the road and still smell it although its not as bad as it was before anyone ever been through this before? and sorry for the long post couldn't describe it any shorter and thanks in advance. oh and also its never had any water in the oil and ive never seen it smoke but the car runs like a champ.

#5 ·
How about the coolant outlet on the intake or maybe the heater control valve? Or could you just be smelling the "steam" escaping from the recovery tank? Those tanks don't seal that tight. Could be the radiator, hose connection, or water pump, etc....
The best way would be a radiator pressure tester. Use it when the engine is cold and pump it up to 15 psi and see if anything starts dripping.

#7 ·
No the only time i can smell it is when im driving down the road theres no leaks anywhere as of yet but i did break the overflow tank so maybe that could be where that smell is coming from idk im just hoping i don't have something serious going wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.