El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
if there is another thread point me to it but i saw nothing ,,, any way im looking to make the cover to my box look much better any ideas or picts? any help is much appreciated
I'm not sure where to find it either, but there are some good looking self made covers on here somewhere.
Here's what I did to mine...

Since this photo I also added latches on the top of each side to keep the cover closed tighter.
Good luck and post pics of what you end up doing to yours.:beer:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
yep ill put up picts as i go. i think i might do mine out of sheet metal hinge system and maby even get a separator so i can separate out the spare
I did mine in two pieces so I can access either side at one time. I did mine out of pine wood, covered with black vinyl, and screwed hinges to the bottoms so each side opens from the top. If I find the pics from other members I'll post the link for you. :beer:

Here's just one idea-posted by Keyser Sose--also search "smugglers box cover" and there's quite a few threads to check out. Once again, good luck.

Hot Tip on a smugglers box [email protected]
Y'all will have to come up with your own cover, but I came across a really cool way and place to get the material to cover it with yesterday!

Was at the recycling yard, and a guy brought in a Subaru Legacy, about 98-02 model. I was checkin it out and had the rear hatch open. I saw this handle so I pulled on it and this cover (that covers the cargo area in the back of the car) pulled out like a window shade pulls down. Pulled out, it was about 4 ft wide and 4 ft long, all really nice grey leather!!

The recycling center doesn't charge for cloth, so it was free (my very FAVORITE price!), but lots of cars have these pull out cargo covers and they are usually in great shape, and often leather or very high quality cloth. Most people overlook these, so they are usually unmolested too!

Check this area out next time you're out lookin for parts!

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
another good place to get enough material to cover your smugglers box cover....

look at the back of the bench seat in older full size cars/trucks. can find just about any color and material (cloth, vinyl, leather) that you want!! will need to be a one piece seat back, like in 4 dr cars and older 2 dr trucks. or maybe some material from the seat of a boat, or a soft bedcover that is torn along the edge, or your sister's convertible top. or wait for a sale at the fabric store (you should go in there and look around sometime, they have lots of marine-grade vinyl!!)

USE YOUR IMAGINATION!!!!

:poke: :eek:ha:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I went to Joann's fabrics and picked up two yards of black marine grade vinyl for around $30. Funny thing was while I was thinking of the possibilities (large safety pin to replace the gas pedal spring... Okay, I'll try it!) there was another guy in line to purchase some fabric to repair a rear tire cover for his ride (he was carrying it around with him). We did the whole 'knowing head nod' from across the store.

One of the ladies working thee said she is seeing more of us lads coming in to get fabric for our cars recently. Well why not?
:secret:

·
Registered
230 Posts
There are carpet curtans that snap on I do have two extra still in package. Black anyone interested they are from OPG they sell for $84.00 i'll take $65.00 plus shipping.:nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Registered
23 Posts
where my spare tire goes, the floor is rusting out, need to find after-market floor panel to replace it, have a 78 El Camino, any ideas or places to look for this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
a gold star to texaselcamino for paying attention and remembering my posts

:texas:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts