El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize, this does NOT involve El Caminos. Does ANYONE have or know where I can get a 305 V6? My son wants to build his grandmother's 63 GMC pickup, but when I was 16 (a long time ago). He will still get my 59, when he graduates college or goes in the military. But this truck will be his to drive when he turns 16 or we finish, whichever comes first. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
check in delivery/step vans like they used for bread/milk/uniform trucks back then. a lot of the old 305 V6s were put in those.

(try explaining a 305 V6 to a modern parts counter lad lmao)

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
I worked on one of those 305 V6 engines in the 60s, in a GMC pickup truck. You may have a problem finding one of those. I seem to remember that they were a low RPM engine, but a strong torque engine. Parts could be a real problem too, since they are old and were not all that popular.
GM built V12s, for semi tractors, using a V12 block & crank, and camshaft, and two sets of heads & internal parts from the V6 engines. Looked a bit strange, but worked OK.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i havnt seen that since i was a kid (the v12) i scrapped one of those v6 305 s about 8 months ago.good luck finding one,try carparts.com. they have been out of production for so long there isnt much out there for them.they did make some very large displacement ones all the way to the 470+ cu in magnum serries used in larger bobtails and busses.maybe truck only junk yards. good luck

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Those V-6`s are very hard to find and very hard to rebuild,, we did those way back 1978 to 87 machine shop days,, clearences are critical! Piston score is a hugh problem, it must be right on the money,, I doubt you can find a machine shop that has touched one in the last 5+ years,, Matty man

·
Registered
12,533 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I have not seen one of those in years , i had a friend that had one in a 8 yard dump truck,that was one tough engine !! :texas:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
check in delivery/step vans like they used for bread/milk/uniform trucks back then. a lot of the old 305 V6s were put in those.

(try explaining a 305 V6 to a modern parts counter lad lmao)
...good luck,they will argue over it without pictures or with pictures...

:beer:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts