El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna have my cruck back end of the week running and legal and cant wait. This is my first ever "my car" and I'm sure its the end of my free time and spare change. Trouble is I cant "not" drive it. I found this thing while looking for a needed second car and I just really want to drive it.

Visually its got some issues, nice as it is. Pretty much all of my chrome trim is dented and crushed, I have some surface rust tracing around a lot of the trim and 2 pretty major body issues behind the tires I'm sure are gonna cost a fortune. My bed is in good shape, no major rust (Couple small holes) and mostly bare metal and patina. My paint isn't great, aside from the rust issues *I* can even spot some obvious runs and such in it.

Crap, all listed out like that it sounds like a junker :)

Here is my question, mechanically she is sound, cant wait to drive her. I'm going to be concentrating my first efforts and money on the interior (unless thats wrong :???:), what can I or should I do to my less attractive areas to make them look better now till I dump money into the bodywork? Also anything I should do now to prevent those issues from getting worse till I can get to them?

Thanks in advance

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
You can dye the interior to make it look good ! That's what I did on my 84 ! It had about 4 different colors & I did mine in a two-tone dark & Lt gray ! I used Sem's products !!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I may have rambled off my question there.

I'm actually asking about what things I should do to the exterior since I'm not going to be working there for a while. I'm ready to hit the interior with a fever LOL. I think I already have some bucket seats and I'm anxious to see what my floor looks like, that carpets outta here LOL

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Best way to enjoy your cruck is to consider it a "work in progress". That is how most deal with all the things we want for our rides. Most of us spend forever eliminating defects and restoring these cars to the car in our dreams.
I used to let all the little disappointments and delays upset me some. No more! I get my satisfaction from driving the car and getting to all the little details as I go.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Make a LONGGGGG list of everything you need/want to do catagorized by interior/body/engine/steering/suspension/brakes and such. Add or subtract items as they get done or you think of more.

Maybe a notebook for just Elky stuff, part #s and .......

Then break that down to which is safety items(do those 1st) them driveability, comfort, looks.

That way you have a checklist so things dont get forgotten and when you finally check off that last item and on to the next Elky.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
I'll primer one until I can get to the outside. Rust-Oleum has a rattle can 3x thick primer which is real easy to apply and holds up well.
This is after 2 years of cutting trails through the woods!

Donny

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Take a look at my photobucket pic's for some ideas.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My '71 started off pretty nice when I got it in the late 90's but I ended up having to drive it one winter as my only car, and I also didn't take great care of it otherwise, so it's pretty well beat up for the last 8 years or so. I still kept it clean and attacked rust when it showed, it was a losing battle, but I didn't care. People at shows didn't care either, in all the cruises and shows my car was always very popular. Seems like some people relate more to a beater than a shiny $75k car because they could see themselves in the beater too, when the high buckaroo cars are outta the ballpark for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts