El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these things original equipment? They are SOOOOOOO ugly! I notice they're on a lot of the cars here.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I think it depends on where you get your hose, NAPA used to have some red back a lot of years ago

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
My son Scott has a 95 Chevy Caprice LS1 Police Interceptor.All the water hoses are red.This was part of the police package,they are part of heavy duty cooling package.They are a lot better than the black ones.They will take higher pressure,temperature & will last a lot longer than the regular ones.So if you can stand the color you should keep them.They virtually last forever if they are the original GM hoses.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I bought a used 73 caddy CDV back in 78. 52,000 miles and very original. Only 5 years old at the time. It had red heater hoses. I too thought someone added them. It also had a prestone back flush hose fitting in one of the lines. I had the car 15 years and never had a problem with the hoses.
That car eventually rusted away and was scrapped. Fast forward to 2008. Bought the exact twin to this car. It too has the red hoses with the prestone fitting. So I'm thinking maybe the dealers did it? Both cars did come out of the Linden, NJ plant and both were sold in PA. So who knows really. They could have come with red hoses and someone added the fittings later or maybe someone added all of it. Just thought it strange to see it on another.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Odd what you say about the Prestone fitting. Mine has one, and I've seen at least one other one in the photos.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 80 SS El Camino came from the factory with the red heater hoses. But my car was originally a a/c delete car. Although I added a a/c box to the car since all the control cables were stuck and broke when I got it (and gm replacements weren't available) .It didn't have a Prestone fitting. My car came out of the Doraville, GA plant.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
My son Scott has a 95 Chevy Caprice LS1 Police Interceptor.All the water hoses are red.This was part of the police package,they are part of heavy duty cooling package.They are a lot better than the black ones.They will take higher pressure,temperature & will last a lot longer than the regular ones.So if you can stand the color you should keep them.They virtually last forever if they are the original GM hoses.
OK I got everything right except the color,I talked to my son today & he says the color is green not red.I didn't know I was color blind.He just did an engine swap in his police interceptor,he replaced the LS1 (4.3 v8)with a 5.7 (LS1).I didn't know that GM made a 4.3 V8 but it was standard in the Caprice.So I was wrong about the red hoses,I don't know what they are.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
The use of red hoses for hot fluids began back in the 50s, in dallas, tx. The chevy dealers there understood that texans were kinda dense, so they had red hoses made up to remind their customers that the fluid inside was hot.

Of course, over time, as many people as could escaped from texas, so the use of red hoses soon became wide spread.

:texas:

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think Texans just like red...
We have a lot of cousins down around Herford and Friona...
They drive red surburbans...have red ATV's....red porch swings...some even have red toilets....:poke: :poke:

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
769 Posts
My El Camino had the red heater hoses when I got it. They were so ugly I changed them immediately plus I didn't know how old they were so it was a bit of preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I got everything right except the color,I talked to my son today & he says the color is green not red.I didn't know I was color blind.He just did an engine swap in his police interceptor,he replaced the LS1 (4.3 v8)with a 5.7 (LS1).I didn't know that GM made a 4.3 V8 but it was standard in the Caprice.So I was wrong about the red hoses,I don't know what they are.
The not only made it...they started out with it! A 4.3L engine would be a 265, give a c.i. or two.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
The use of red hoses for hot fluids began back in the 50s, in dallas, tx. The chevy dealers there understood that texans were kinda dense, so they had red hoses made up to remind their customers that the fluid inside was hot.

Of course, over time, as many people as could escaped from texas, so the use of red hoses soon became wide spread.

:texas:
Yip, and they put (caution fan) (never open hot) & (contents under pressure) for the rest of ya'll. Just for the fun of it I had them add (objects in mirror are closer than appears) cause your about to be run over by a Yellow Rose!!!:poke:
Donny

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I intend to take my ugly red hoses off, so anyone who wants to look original can have them.

(But used heater hoses are like used underwear.)

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Well, I intend to take my ugly red hoses off, so anyone who wants to look original can have them.

(But used heater hoses are like used underwear.)

so lay them in the sun for a few days and then go ahead and use them, right?

:dontknow:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Had red on mine, for the simple fact that the heater hose blew on the way to work one morning. Just happens that I work in a warehouse, and the red hose was free for the taking. But with new motor went back with the black, guess it depends on the situation as to what color you use.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
The not only made it...they started out with it! A 4.3L engine would be a 265, give a c.i. or two.
I remember the original 1955 265 V8 very well,it started it all.They list the 1995 4.3 V8(LS1) as a 265 in the book.So now my son has the 5.7 V8 350 (LS1) an easy swap relatively.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the red hoses are nothing special just ugly when faded and dirty. a couple manufacturers made them red.the police car hoses are either green for gm and light blue for ford.i use the green ones on all of my toys and never have to worry about hoses. as long as they dont get cut they last for ever,dont break down like rubber hoses.they are expensive but worth it compared to loseing an engine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts