El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a soft top snap on tonneau cover for my 1982 El Camino. I have found some on line, anywhere from $85 - up. Does anyone know of one brand that is better that the other? I do a lot of interstate 65 MPH + driving.
Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get a snap on!!!

The only advice I have is to get a SNAP ON. Don't ever get a cheesy velcro one. I bought one for $50 bucks at a car show thinking it was a good deal. The guy even helped me put it on. Well on the 2 1/2 hour drive home that night, it let loose without me even seeing it in the dark. So like I said spend the extra bucks, it'll be worth it!!
Happy Cruzzin.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think your're going to find a true "snap on" cover anywhere but at an upholstery shop. The snaps have to be pop riveted to the body, intermediate braces have to be installed and a special attachment piece fabricated to fit under the rear window. I had mine done at a local upholstery shop that specializes in custom work. Good Luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Two weeks ago I had a local upholstery shop do one for me. I believe it cost me $139 and took one day. That included two new wood braces. I went this route as the PO had installed bed rails which elliminated several body snaps for the original cover (which was junk anyway) so new ones had to be installed on both side of the rail attachment points. Don't think a stock, mail order would handle a situation like that.

I got to see the vinly color choices in daylight up against the car to pick a good combo. Shop also got roll stock that was wide enough to make the cover without any seams.

On another note while it was in the shop I had them build up the driver side seat cushion and boy did that make a difference and tightened up the upholstery nicely.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd like to find one too. My factory cover has shrunk and seen better days. Where did you find them? The only one I have found so far is from EC Parts. It's a snap type for $99.95. It doesn't say if it's a factory replacement or if it's cut for bed rails.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The EC parts cover is not a factory replacement. It's just a generic tarp with snap buttons.

The El Camino stores lists this:
00-1760 78-87 with Hardware & Bows - Specify color $125.00
00-1762 78-87 Specify Color w/ Hardware & Bows $159.95
00-1764 78-87 Deluxe Cover Black $187.95
They don't give any other details on their website. They want $5 for a printed catalog. :x

I can't belive finding a factory replacement cover is so hard.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Snap on cover

Anyone with existing snaps in the body can get a new cover made to fit to your snaps at a good upholstery shop.I had one replaced on my pickup and it was perfect.

·
Registered
147 Posts
rci2990 said:
wow rich didn't know you had a elky.
Just got it. I needed a winter beater so I can keep the Buick out of the snow and salt (and the bed come in handy for haulin' parts). It was $500 with big holes in the side and a SBC under the hood. :sigh: I wouldn't mind popping a V6 in there and giving it a little boost. :D I used to have a '81 SS with a 4-speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts