Discussion Starter #1
My brother and me just bought a new project
1962 Nash Metropoitan

Its pretty rusty. Its a winter project for my brother who is retired
this is not the worst part wait till I get some pic of whats left of the frame

·
Premium Member
8,158 Posts
Good luck with the new project. As a kid I always liked the Metropolitan.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
A V6 or even a V8-60 (w/200-4R on either one) would be perfect for that! on the other hand, many of the old forklifts used flathead 4cyl gas engines that had chevy or furd pattern bellhousings on them. hmmmmm

furd EXP, chevy vega or one of those other sub-sub- compacts (even Suzuki samauri or other itty bitty suv like that) would be perfect donor for updated suspension/brakes (maybe even floor pans/framerails), but keep the body as retro as you can.

or if you feel real adventurous, and wanna wow the troops, put a whole FWD clip under it!

take your tape measure to the salvage yard and start measuring!!!

be a crime not to keep the body as stock as possible tho

:poke:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Saw one at a car show in San Marcos, TX recently. It's also red and white, owned by a woman. She shows it with a big "wind-up" key attached to the trunk lid. Very clever. Good luck with your project and keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just finished up a 62 for a local guy. I have a few sources for parts when you get ready. Found some parts on E-bay. Actually got a new wire harness complete for it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
I worked on those in the early 60s, when I worked for a Rambler dealer for about 8 months while I was laid off from a another job.
Parts for that little engine may be around if you really look for them.
The full size Ramblers in '63 were a real piece of crap in my opinion, and I worked on them when they were new...

I seem to remember that the Metro had some kind of a weird transmission or clutch arrangement....(?)

Wickipedia may have some info on them....

·
Director, Region 2
621 Posts
In the late 60's at 15 a friend had one. I believe they had BMC (British Motor Car) engines. He ended up with a couple more and one registered to drive on the road when we got older.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just finished up a 62 for a local guy. I have a few sources for parts when you get ready. Found some parts on E-bay. Actually got a new wire harness complete for it.

Dave
Thanks I'm sure I will be looking for some parts. Trying to keep it cheap

Here's the some more pic of the progress we made today

The last body man just put a new rocker panel right over the rusty one
http://

And we got the motor and transmission out

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Blown Nash Metropolitan

This blown Nash Metropolitan showed up at CARe SHOW in San Juan Capistrano a few years ago.
The paint is even nicer up close.

I believe this video might be at Cars And Coffee in Irvine, CA.

And here, you can hear the blower surge as it comes up the line of traffic.

·
Registered
348 Posts
had one in green and white show up at one of the last cruise nights here and the owner stuffed a hemi in it. it looked real sharp wish I had taken a pic

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
This blown Nash Metropolitan showed up at CARe SHOW in San Juan Capistrano a few years ago.
The paint is even nicer up close.

I believe this video might be at Cars And Coffee in Irvine, CA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCNC10Wt4Lc

And here, you can hear the blower surge as it comes up the line of traffic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYs0jUOi0k
..what he saids..:bigups:
..here is some more ideals for ya..:eek3:
..( See Link Here...> http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/143438/nasty-nash-metropolitan

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Beep beep! :twisted:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts