El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure hope all of the bolts and nuts were marked where they went.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Grab a handful of them, then toss them over your left shoulder and make a wish!

·
823 Posts
Brings back lots of memories! Good time to slap in a V-8 :lol:

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hansmanbo said:
Brings back lots of memories! Good time to slap in a V-8 :lol:
V8?? I have a 95 LT1 from an Impala SS which has be 'upgraded' slightly. My avatar says it all. :lol:

·
823 Posts
Sorry Dude :cry: Hard to tell what that was in the picture. Its a shame, with California emissions, you couldn't get a good motor. :evil:

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hansmanbo said:
Its a shame, with California emissions, you couldn't get a good motor.

Ahh to be naive again.

The LT1 is the same motor that was in the Corvette from 92-96, the Camaro from 93-97, and like I said before the Impala SS. I'm around 300 RWHP with very few mods and alot of traction problems. That I know of the only better motor (from GM) then the LT1 is the LS1. But the LS1 takes alot more work to install into an older vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ah hell, all it needs is a big spoiler and some Type-R stickers here and there. And neon, lots of neon.

Man I'm glad all mine needs is a fender....

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I generally have a lot of coffee cans or small plastic boxes and each assemble gets its own container that is marked. That way all the nutz and boltz are accounted for, cleaned before re-installing them or replaced if needed and go back where they came from.

I'd forget that big huge Ricer Spoiler and Neon. Its an El Camino you don't have to do anything special to make it stand out and be noticed like you do those ugly little POS cars that are on the streets now days.

LT - So I take it that your truck is in the paint shop? What color is it going to be?

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep all the bolts etc are in bags. Most are being replaced. The color is Chrome Silver the new 350Z color, black SS stripes on the cowl hood, and the chrome trim is being powder coated black also. This is the underside of the hood that has already been done.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I got a couple of sets of bolts that have the Chevy Bowtie on them they also make Sems and other fasteners that have that logo. They sell them in Stainless and Chrome Plated. The engine set has pretty much everything you'll need but not everything. The rest they make you purchase seperatly but they are not that expensive individually. THe set cost me 90 something I think it was.

Its a thought when you get around to putting it back together.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I like that color. I also like Elmpala's silver, if you've ever seen pics of his Elky.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That I know of the only better motor (from GM) then the LT1 is the LS1.
Your forgetting about the LT4. They used it in Grand Sports and Camaro SLP SS'. Summit has an LT4 conversion kit for $2300 that consists of the heads,intake,cam,ect. The LT4 had a better flowing top end. With the LT4,you'll be right up there with the LS1 in the SS if not the Z06 as the Summit kit claims 400 hp(although I think that's a bit exaggerated but I could be wrong).

As far as traction,you might want to try some anti-hop bars from Hotchkins. I had a buddy use them on his Grand Nat. and he was able to put the traction down with them. Only problem was he wrinkled his quarter panel with the power he was making!

One last quick tip I can give to anyone here,I use prescription bottles to hold bolts and nuts. You can label and store them pretty easily. Everytime I visit my parents house,they save them and give them to me.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your right about the motors, but I consider the LT4 to be a part of the LT1 familiy just like I think of the LS6 as part of the LS1 family. All of them great production motors.

My big problem with traction is that I'm still running the open rear end until I do a disc brake conversion to the back. But talking with Larry (Duke) that has the setup that I'm installing traction is still problem. I plan on doing boxed lower control arm and adjustable uppers so I'll just have to wait and see.

Yes I have see Elmpala's Silver. 8) It was one of about 5 that helped me to decide on Silver. A friend recommended the Chrome Silver and after I saw it decided to use to it.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jims78elky said:
P.S> Rob is that Mcdonalds cup a new performance part i have missed,or a new air filter? he-he :p
It was a test. I've since found that Super Big-Gulps work better. About 25 HP. :lol:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
the swap

Wow--what you have is just what I wanted to do for my ElCamino. Do you have a post somewhere with details of the swap? I assume you got the entire engine, computer, wire harness and all. Did you need to get the transmission to go with it?

Chevy High performance magazine has several stories of LS1 swaps into older cars, but that looked more complicated. I knew there had to be a simpler way. And that has to have more beans than the pickup engines with TBI that I see in the yards here.

Also, it looks like you're not using the cowl induction hood for the air. Is it just for looks? I think they look great, but it's also a neat function.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
greywolf if you dare take a look at my site. www.poltergeist.us A bunch of information on what I've done so far. I did get the full drivetrain for the conversion. I could have used a different tranny but the 4L60E is realtivly good setup so I used it. Its basically an electronic 700R.

The cowl hood is just for looks. I would have had to made a really complicated intake to get the air to the front of the LT1's throttle body. It was eaiser and probably just as good getting the cold from the fender area.

The LS1 would have been a nice engine to put in. But custom motor mounts, oil pan, accessory brackets, etc. The LT1 bolted right in using the original motor mounts and the only thing that I could not use was the AC setup. I'm going to convert to a Corvette bracket setup so I'll have AC by next summer.

As far as the motor having beans all I can say is with the open rear end and going 55mph if I floor it all I do is smoke the tire. And talking with Larry (Duke) who has the same setup with the rearend setup that is sitting in my kitchen (Eaton posi & 3.42 gears) I'm still going to be spinning wheels. But I'll have fun doing it.

BTW this is what it looks like as of today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts