El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pointless rant warning,
I have a friend who i have known for years, I know he trusts me and im the closest thing to a mechanic that he knows personally. His car needed to be smogged (annoying CA smog check) and i told him multiple times, even focused on making a point of how important it was to take it to a "don't pass, don't pay" station. I had just dealt with the same issue on my truck earlier and my brother's camaro as well, we both took them to a "don't pass, don"t pay" station and saved a bunch of money having our cars fail multiple times till we fixed them. My friends car had been sitting most of 2 years, barely driven across the street every week or so, but never heated up and really ran, still running on old gas too. I made it a point to tell him how unlikely it was that it would pass and he seemed receptive and agreeing. Now for some reason that i have no idea why, he took his car to a regular station and it failed, big surprise. So why im writing this is because i am completely stumped as to what would go through someones head that would lead them to follow that course of action. Any thoughts? im stumped.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink.
you can drown him however by trying.....:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
pointless rant warning,
I have a friend who i have known for years, I know he trusts me and im the closest thing to a mechanic that he knows personally. His car needed to be smogged (annoying CA smog check) and i told him multiple times, even focused on making a point of how important it was to take it to a "don't pass, don't pay" station. I had just dealt with the same issue on my truck earlier and my brother's camaro as well, we both took them to a "don't pass, don"t pay" station and saved a bunch of money having our cars fail multiple times till we fixed them. My friends car had been sitting most of 2 years, barely driven across the street every week or so, but never heated up and really ran, still running on old gas too. I made it a point to tell him how unlikely it was that it would pass and he seemed receptive and agreeing. Now for some reason that i have no idea why, he took his car to a regular station and it failed, big surprise. So why im writing this is because i am completely stumped as to what would go through someones head that would lead them to follow that course of action. Any thoughts? im stumped.

If he doesn't want to fix it and likes to through money away have him come down to Bell Gardens Ca. and for $180.00 it will pass or he will get his certificate from some car that passes for yours? You drop it off come back and your done.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,044 Posts
If he doesn't want to fix it and likes to through money away have him come down to Bell Gardens Ca. and for $180.00 it will pass or he will get his certificate from some car that passes for yours? You drop it off come back and your done.
I would be very careful advertising such, whoever you know who does this can lose his smog cert for life, and be fined heavily if a CARB or BAR official gets wind of his falsifying smog tests.

Just FYI

Fines and penalties associated to smog fraud include:

For the consumer - A civil penalty of at least $150, but no more than $1,000, may be assessed to anyone who attempts to fraudulently obtain a smog check or inspection. This also applies to anyone who attempts to fraudulently obtain a vehicle repair or hardship waiver, or CAP assistance.

For the station owner - Fines and penalties for station owners can range between $5,000 to $150,000 depending on the amount of investigation time required by the Bureau of Automotive Repairs in order to bring up charges. Fines are almost always accompanied by the loss of the smog station's and smog technician's licenses
I would also submit that admitting to smog fraud on the internet might not be the wisest course of action.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Interesting, Ferret Lady
I was sure it was democrats who display such mental agility.lol
I sure glad I am in Florida. You can operate any kind of contraption you want herr. Emissios? No worries. Plywood rear windshields, trikes with seating for twelve? No problemo. This is the land of the free. Sheriffs here are very relaxed regarding vehicles and open exhaust, etc.
They are mainly focusing on DUI enforcement and excessive speeding.

Reactions: Junk Collector

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,577 Posts
Guess your friend had some money to burn.

Also, lets remember not to get into political debates. We all know where that leads, and I'd rather see El Camino Central stay free of such discussions. Thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think most people in America are that way .... DENSE! Whether on the right or the left. Common sense just ain't common anymore. I didn't realize it before a few years ago, but now I'm convinced.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I been noticing the mental deterioration since about the 70's ... but I was a bit young in the 60's to say much about then.

I think what it is is that people are constantly being loaded with more and more on their plates and some just toss in the towel and take the TKO instead of being completely knocked out.

·
Registered
298 Posts
key word ... deliberate ........scratch the surface:

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/MomsPDFs/DDDoA.sml.pdf
Sure - it's been being done for decades.

Even the little Bush helped. So many people on the right saying how liberal the education system is bad and he went and had Ted Kennedy co author the The No Child Left Behind Bill.

If you haven't already - get a book called The Naked Communist

It outlines what society was about to face ( written in 1958 )

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
No child left behind should have been called some chidren held back

·
Registered
298 Posts
No child left behind should have been called some chidren held back
Newer slant to the older Head Start program started in 1968.
Those recipient's now have their kids needing another Head Start.

... just another hole in the "tax collection" bucket dripping on the stones people trip over.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
It has been said by a very wise man that man is NOT the rational animal, he is the rationalizing animal.
That sounds like something Keyser Sose would come up with! Woop woop

1 - 20 of 20 Posts