El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came to the conclusion that I need some sort of spare for Da Queen...currently running 255 x 15 T/A's on stock rallye rims. Can I squeeze that in behind the seat? (I have the rim...but just looking at the rim here in my office makes it seem like a real snug fit)

If not, what do you folks carry back there ?

Thanks in advance,:beer:

Chris

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
The space in the smuggler's box doesn't even seem to be big enough for any full sized tire and wheel. I'm planning to use a bolt on mount welded into the bed somewhere since I have a hard cover anyway.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
The GM wheel bolt pattern is constant or unghanged (5 X 4.75). Temp spares will work. You just have to consider the similarity in heighth and circumference compared to what is on your cruck pre flat tire.

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks..so far...

Hmmm....I thought about doing the "continental" look...mounting on the tailgate...but that's just a touch outta line :dontknow:

I am thinking a narrower, correct bolt pattern rim with a simple 155 series will connect to the original mount...standing on end behind the seat.

Any other options? If not, I'll drink to that :beer:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
A full size will fit behind the seat on a 3rd gen. They didn't have space saver spares back then. Not sure about the width, but as mentioned, you can go with a narrower tire to be sure it'll fit.

Here's a thread showing the spare

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=40365

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:nanawrench:Excellent...thanks for the link...very helpful to see how it was meant to be. I originally looked at all that space and envisioned the possibilities of mounting a full on Dolby Surround system:You_Rock:...but I can taper that back to work around the spare. I will pull one of the existing wheels and test fit that full width 255 before I go to work...but it looks like fer sure it can be done.

Thanks again all...:beer:

Chris

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I roll with a cell phone and AAA.

Anything goes wrong they bring a flat-bed and go 150 miles...I'll fix it at home, at my leasure :beer:...
I used that space for speakers.

X2. I have the original spare, lug wrench and jack........ in my garage.

Speakers, amps and subs behind the seat.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I have the space saver (I call them "motorcycle tires") in mine. The full size takes up a lot of room back there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts