El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if these plug wire retainers are Taylors?

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Musical instrument

I really like the simplistic design of them however, they're made of plastic and that is a turn off.

Recently I ordered and returned these.
Rectangle Parallel Font Metal Auto part

The machine work and build quality was very good for the money but they wouldn't clear the AC box, the brackets that bolt onto the valve cover needed to be enlarged (which I didn't do because I returned them), and lastly the 3rd spark plug wire towards the rear (with my headers) wasn't going to fit properly without touching the exhaust.

I've been on this search in the past and came up with literally nothing that does the job well enough.
I don't like the look of the ones that route the wire straight up either.

I might just have to design something in Autodesk.
I'd be doing the world a favor it seems.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I've got find some for my 350 in my 78. I just glanced and was thinking about the ones you just showed. I have Edelbrock valve covers on my 350, but maybe they won't work for me. I'll be watching to see what you figure out that'll work. Best of luck in your search. Sorry I didn't know what is needed for yours.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
These are affordable that can match the aluminum finned valve covers (RPC), breather/PVC caps, wire routers, and a number of air cleaner styles with the same raised fins.
Automotive fuel system Hood Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive tire

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,322 Posts
You'd think that metal wire retainers bolted to the heads instead of the normal valve cover bolts would thereby transfer a ton of heat directly to the wire. The black thermoplastic used is heat resistant, just for that reason. I'd be a lot more trusting of those Taylor's than that fancy aluminium tubing for any motor that's actually run and not brought to show on a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
Black plastics are what we use for solar heat absorption for panels to heat pools, spas and preheat for water heaters.

The headers were running too hot, when the reflective aluminum guides were put on.
I needed to protect the wires from that excessive heat.
We resolved the excessive header heat (through other changes) in the same project to dress the engine.
I haven't seen my car on a trailer for the six years that it has had the affordable value priced valve covers and wire guides installed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Old Bear So you're taking plug wire #5 turning to the rear then directing the wire towards the front?
I was worried it would twist back toward the header at some point so I sent the thing back.

Hmmm. The clearance on the passenger side AC box was still an issue though.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
Yes. The plug wire for cylinder 5 makes a gentle S rearward toward the dipstick tube and then slightly forward as the Taylor cap holds the wire tightly to the plug.
I have Tri-Y style long tube stainless headers, so I don't know about other exhaust systems.
Automotive tire Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Rim Sculpture

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
There are some extra things on my engine, and some things missing like the A/C hoses.
Most of the A/C stuff is still on the passenger side.
As a 1970, it has less stuff on the passenger side than a 1978.
In the lower part of the image. I played with the lighting on the image (in PhotoShop). Hopefully it shows the spark plug cable routing on cyls 2,4,6,8.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive air manifold Gas

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Does anyone know if these plug wire retainers are Taylors?
I really like the simplistic design of them however, they're made of plastic and that is a turn off.
I have these looms, made by Spectre, look very similar to your photo. The "plastic" blocks are some type of dialectic polymer, heat resistant, no crossfiring. Never mounted, went with Morosos instead... let me know if you'd be interested.

Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Metal Auto part

Brown Wood Font Rectangle Material property

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts