El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the Curtchfield web site and came up with some interesting Sub/Speaker combos. I was thinking about trying two of them on my 80 as the Interior gets replaced.

First off Q-Form makes a Kickpanel for the Monty that will work on the Elky for the Front Speakers @ 119.00 a set (Left/Right) another is

for the storage compartment and another could be the inside of the storage compartment on the sides this setup

the ones for the front kick panels are

actually for a 78-87 Buick Regal but will fit on the same years Elkys. Some mod to the Emergency / Park brake it will need to be bent out about 1" or so.

I was thinking of trying to get the rear enclosure without speakers and install some component speakers instead of Subs and use the 2nd pic for the subs all that for the back storage compartment then the Q-Forms for the front speakers along with replacing the Factory speakers in the dash with something "Real" and good.

Any thoughts / Comments?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This could be for the storage compartment in the sides they look to me like they're the correct dimansions.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-kn6suIZILwQ/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=530&I=236F2EX10&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

This would or could be for the back of the storage compartment.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-kn6suIZILwQ/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=77100&I=236DRQ20AC&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N
$549.00 :x

I am pretty sure that I can make these enclosures. I don't have to buy them. In the back, on the sides the compartment has openings where the seatbelts are tied down. This would be an execlent place for the smaller single enclosures. They advertise them as being for a Ford Explorer just behind the rear wheel wells.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Pete;

That stuff sure is slick, but way over priced. I think I'll do something sinilar to what Robert did and build a custom panel to cover the storage area then load it with good sound stuff.. :cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah, for front speakers... www.ikesound.com i think it was had good prices on some infinity kappa 3.5" 55$ and i've heard some really good reviews about them. for my setup ive got 3.5"'s up front, ATM they're blown, then i've got some 6x9's behind each seat, and 1 10" RF sub HE2 in the smugglers box, 500 watt amp, it adds plenty of bass, and its nice and clear. I got it as an employee at best buy...about 50% off retail, but its an excellent sub, the RF amps are great too because they under-rate the power they are capable of. but its not always about power, clarity is a big thing too and iv'e used a few different amps, been pretty impressed with RF's bang for the buck per say.

those rear enclosures are definetly too much. Has anyone used the kick panel speakers? they just look to me like they'd just get in the way :( and they arent exactly the most styleish thing in the world.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have installed the Qform kick panels. They are way overpriced and I didn't like the way they fit. They left the lips off and supply some weatherstripping to apply to the edge. I had to install them since I've filled in the speaker holes in my new dash. I ended up cutting the lips off of my old kickpanels, epoxying and pop riveting them to the new panels and then had them covered at my local upholstery shop in a matching vinyl. For the rears I modified some 6x9 enclosures to fit under the seat belt opening and built a panel to span the opening. I contemplate adding a sub or doors so I can gain access to the space. Right now I don't need it.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea they are way over priced but... I think I can do the same thing with some MDF and a little bit of time. I like the way the top photo looks for an enclosure that doesn't take up all the room in the storage box and those side enclosures are pretty sweet too. So I have some templates to make! :D

I didn't know about the Q-Form kick panels and it is good to know that up front. If they are cheezy looking I can't use them. I'll keep looking for a resonable subsitute.

Crutchfield and Car Toys are overpriced. I've been looking from time to time because it is getting closer to that time for the 80 project. I expect soon I'll have the body on and start working on the interior. I have a Custom Console to finish for the inside and some custom wiring to install. Some I have already done in anticipation of the next step.

I needed a little input. And I got it thank you very much! I wanted to go with Rockford Fosgate Component speakers in the rear and some really nice setup for the front aside from the tiny little dash speakers, again Rockford Fosgate speakers and Amps. Any thoughts on that? I could also see Infinity speakers in there too.

I'm wanting to go with a CD/CDR/CDRW/DVD Player and a 6 disk changer. I have a 10 disk in the 93 Silverado and that is too many CD to keep up with. It doesn't play the newest CDRs or MP3s. So I saw a Unit that has a display that pulls out and is about 7" LCD. The head unit looks normal. I think it was a Sony or Something like that. But.. I am on a budget so I could just go with a good CD player that does the newest formats and a changer and skip the Video. Afterall how many chances will I actually have to watch it while driving?

·
Registered
64 Posts
>$500 for the package tray compartment enclosure! 8O Maybe I should start making them and selling them for $350...geez.

On the recommendation of the Kappa's, I would only invest in those if you have an external amplifier. The Kappa's have always faired better with an external amp. Despite contrary belief, a 20 watt rms x 4 external amp will provide roughly twice the actual power than a "20 watt" x 4 internal amplifier in a CD player. If you're using the stock power out of your CD/tape player, I would look into the Infinity Reference speakers. They are an exeptional speaker for the money.

I'll soon have pics up of my SI Magnum D2 12" woofer, and my modified kick pannels soon. My kicks are going to support my own proprietary 3-way component system consisting of a 1" ferrite tweet, 7" midrange, and twin 5.25's in each kick pannel. :)

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
[quote="Electrodynamic]
I'll soon have pics up of my SI Magnum D2 12" woofer, and my modified kick pannels soon. My kicks are going to support my own proprietary 3-way component system consisting of a 1" ferrite tweet, 7" midrange, and twin 5.25's in each kick pannel. :)[/quote]

Now thats something I can't wait to see.... 8O

·
Registered
165 Posts
ElkyPete said:
I was looking through the Curtchfield web site and came up with some interesting Sub/Speaker combos. I was thinking about trying two of them on my 80 as the Interior gets replaced.I was thinking of trying to get the rear enclosure without speakers and install some component speakers instead of Subs and use the 2nd pic for the subs all that for the back storage compartment then the Q-Forms for the front speakers along with replacing the Factory speakers in the dash with something "Real" and good.

Any thoughts / Comments?
I am going to eventually replace the "curtain" with an exotic hardwood panel that is removeable. I still want to use the storage area for tools and emergency parts, but have moved the spare to the bed permanently.

I plan to install a set of speakers on the panel, but haven't even begun to decide which ones. The one thing I want to avoid at all cost is the rolling boombox sound. Of course I won't blow the speakers the first time out either.

Crutchfield is good for certain things...usually older head units that are on sale come pretty cheap there. But on anything new or unusual as the first pic Pete put up, they are way overpriced.

·
Registered
64 Posts
87SS said:
Now thats something I can't wait to see.... 8O
I can't wait to get started on them! I need to treat my floors with POR 15 before I start in on deadening the floors and doors, running wire, and then working on my kick pannels.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
For anyone that may be interested I went by Lauren Engineering today and talked to Dave there today. I had a picture of the QForm units and he said that he thought that he could make some from fiberglas. But he said he need a set to make a mold from. They would be like the 'glas ones that he makes now with the lip and everything but setup for speakers. If someone has a set that are willing to give up for a while so he can make molds then he can do it. So if someone would like to send me a set so I can take them by there we could have some solid panels that should work. Dave said that he thought the cost would be for 'about' the same amount as the stock replacements that he makes now which according to his site are $40 each.

So what do you think and is someone willing to give a setup for little bit?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts