El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most know I am a new ELKY owner. This one still has an 8-Track player! I question if the FM has stereo and noticed it only has the two small speakers on the dash.

Did the ELKY come with rear speakers or only the two dinky dash speakers?

Any suggestions on replacements for the dash speakers?

Also, the power antenna is stuck in the UP position and makes a terrible sound when the radio is turned OFF.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
1,867 Posts
I put 3 1/2 coaxles in the front & 6x9 tri's in boxes under the rear shelf with a 50w head unit. Sounds great.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
881 Posts
arkay said:
Did the ELKY come with rear speakers or only the two dinky dash speakers?
No 5th gen ever came from GM with rear speakers. The dual 3.5" speakers were only for stereo radios. Some 78-81 Elkys only had one center speaker for the cheaper GM monoral radios.

:mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
87ElCamino said:
arkay said:
Did the ELKY come with rear speakers or only the two dinky dash speakers?
No 5th gen ever came from GM with rear speakers. The dual 3.5" speakers were only for stereo radios. Some 78-81 Elkys only had one center speaker for the cheaper GM monoral radios.

:mrgreen:
I parted out a '79 a couple years ago that had 4x10 speakers in the sides of the spare tire/cargo area. They did appear to be a factory type unit. They mounted right into the factory screw locations. I gave them to "Good.Wrench" over on Chevytalk.com. He may be able to get you a pic of them if you contact him.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35 Posts
I put in Rockford Fosgate 3.5", Sony Xplode that plays MP3's too (300 tunes/disc), The low end is a cheap, but effective $79 Audiovox 8" powered sub. Fits in the smuggler's compartment with enough room for tools and hitches. My son traded me his XM radio tuner for new tires on his car. I love the sound & have a lot of choice.

See this link:
http://home.comcast.net/~johncgg/stereo.htm

JC
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
881 Posts
CHVYPWR said:
I parted out a '79 a couple years ago that had 4x10 speakers in the sides of the spare tire/cargo area. They did appear to be a factory type unit. They mounted right into the factory screw locations..
They may have been a dealer installed item. The wires for rear speakers are not included in the 5th gen El Camino dash harness.

:mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
I like the setup I have in my El camino. I have 3.5 fosgates in the dash, with two 6x9's of the same make in the back. Then I have a sony cd player with the whole flip face with a blackout screen. puts out 52x4, perfect for me. From sound domain it cost me about 345 with shipping and all the stuff too install it, and it seems well worth it too me :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
arkay said:
As most know I am a new ELKY owner. This one still has an 8-Track player! I question if the FM has stereo and noticed it only has the two small speakers on the dash.

Did the ELKY come with rear speakers or only the two dinky dash speakers?

Any suggestions on replacements for the dash speakers?

Also, the power antenna is stuck in the UP position and makes a terrible sound when the radio is turned OFF.
Off topic a little bit, but you mentioned 8-track. Was this part of the stock radio, or was it a separate unit? If it was part of the radio, and you still have it, I would be interested in it. My 77 SS is not a daily driver, so I enjoy keeping it vintage/nostalgic. An in-dash 8-track player would certainly be a conversation starter!
 

·
Master Wrench
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
search, there was just a thread about this a day or two ago, ill see if i can find it
 

·
Master Wrench
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top