El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 3 1/2" corner speakers in my '87 are fried after all these years. What's a good replacement? Have heard that some don't fir the opening, stick up to high, hit the grill Suggestions?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Depends on your budget and tastes.
Paper, silk and other soft materials give a mellower sound, more designed for easy listening, country and those type music. The polypropylene, metals and hard/stiff cones give a much harsher sound, more snappy, for stuff like heavy metal, k-pop, rap etc.

But much will also depend on your setup, are the fronts amp powered or just the 15w per channel from the deck. For low power systems, you want to match up the rms with high db speakers, above 90db or better. If amp powered, you'll want something closer to 80db, gives a better quality note. Just don't do the opposite or you'll be cranking the volume and it still sounds quiet.

And then there's budget, everything from $200 a pair for some JBL's to $30 for some Sony X-Plods, to $500+ for a pair of Focals.

Fitment is easy. Any 3½ or smaller will work, you just have to stay away from designs where the center cone / tweeter setup is taller than the woofer foam surround.

The biggest obstacle is actually getting to the speakers in the first place.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
I put in the Pioneer TSA878 3 1/2" speakers & they are fine for OEM speakers
Somebody said they tried to put them in but couldn't get them to fit
Mine fit fine when you put the speaker wire facing the windshield

Here is another member using them

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm guessing there's differences in dashboards. Probably between factory ac and non-ac models, SS or Conquistador etc. Much of which isn't mentioned in those postings. Might even be just a factory build thing, like cable bundles run slightly differently or tighter or looser etc.

Like the Infinity 329CF mentioned in that link, supposedly they are too big to fit, yet the poster had no issues. Some ppl needing to hack out ac ducting or adding washers to fit the TS-A878's and others don't.

So my only solution would be get something you are pretty sure will work, and try them. If they don't work, can adjustments be made or will swapping them for different be a better idea. Sorry if that's not more helpful advice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just installed the TS-A878's in my 85 but have not reinstalled the dash yet. Like any old car project it is handy to have a dremel around. I had to do a little fine tuning to get them installed. The center cone was too high so I used a little 1/4 inch ribbon seal and 4ea 3/16 washers on each pin to keep the center cone away from the grill. The pins on mine were long enough to accommodate this "fix". All I wanted was a decent working sound for a fm station so no high powered sound equipment was investigated. As soon as I get the Dakota Digital vhx rewired I'm going to reconnect the radio and speakers with the dash out to see how everything works. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Watch the ohm rating too. Factory radios are 10 ohm; using 4 ohm (which a lot of aftermarket are) can damage the factory radio.
Patrick

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know the 3 1/2" corner speakers in my '87 are fried after all these years. What's a good replacement? Have heard that some don't fir the opening, stick up to high, hit the grill Suggestions?
If you can find them, Boston Acoustics has some dynamite 3.5" speakers. They sound great and can handle a lot of power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts