El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This carb was included in the purchase price of my El Camino. It's a replacement for a Quadrajet. It was on the car when the previous owner bought it, but he put the old QJ back on. I think it needs a throttle solenoid for A/C use if I put it back on.

But I'm wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations, such as jet sizes, vacuum springs, etc., that would work well on one of our cars (350).

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Holley has website that may be helpful. You should be able to find the original jets, air bleeds, etc. By using that number. That number is not the model number but a stock number.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Holleys run great right out of the box.
My suggestion is not to modify it,run it as is.

·
0 Posts
We have Todd the carb guy who services members in the DFW area. I say give him a shout. I'll PM you the number.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I don't know Todd, or Jack, well i do Know Jack :poke: Mountain man did one for a customer of mine,was the best Qjet job i have ever seen,perfect !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Carb ?

I have used two of these carbs. Both new, 1 on a stock 78 impala and one on a mildly modified full size chevy pickup with a 400 small block. This carb with a set of headers and dual exhaust really wake up a small block. Idle speed and idle mixture was all I needed to adjust. Very good throttle response and good gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had great luck with an Edelbrock 4160 right out of the box, and really lousy luck with any Holley I ever tried to get running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts