El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi all:
Is there a trick to getting a broken speedometer needle off its shaft? Or is it even possible? Somehow the needle broke off my '83 and left about a 1/3 stub on the shaft. I tho't maybe I could get a junk yard replacement, but if I can't get the old one off a replacement won't do me much good. I haven't taken the speedo unit out of the dash; just the covers that allow me to get at the needle.
I used the search function for an answer to this question but came up empty.
I'd hate to have to replace the entire unit.

Dan

·
Registered
96 Posts
I haven't rolled one back in years, but that one should be pressed on/in....
The shaft was slipped through the face at the factory and then the needle was installed, so it is possible to do it the way you are trying, but is it a circle guage or a sweeping guage???????I am pretty sure you will have to take it all apart if it sweeps.......I know a good criminal I can ask 4sure :p

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a circular gauge. I have no intention of touching the odometer (at least at this time) as the mileage is reasonably low for the year. I've tried gently prying the base of the needle with a wide blade screw driver to no avail. I didn't want to break off what was left of the needle. At least now I can sort of look along the stub and make a good guess where the point would be.

Dan

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
if you wanted to you could epoxy a toothpick to whats left. other than that you're going to be making a trip to the junko-yardoo :x
i recently had to get a new speedo cause my dad broke the little shaft that the needle is connected to.

·
1,867 Posts
If you gently pull with even pressure, it should pop right off.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input guys, but I'm getting a mixed message. Some think it's possible to get the old stub off, other not. Next I'll try heating it a little with a hair dryer (no flame); then a little more gentle prying and pulling. I don't want to make the situation worse by breaking off what's left.
I tho't of the toothpick idea, too. I even have some orange paint I used to touch up some of the other gauge needles, if it come to that.

Dan

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sound good. Just remember that when/if you get it out how could you get it back in.

Tell us how it goes and then we'll know how to fix ours next time.
[take pics] :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ive used a old fork that we use to eat with to pry. that way you can put even presure on the needle i did a set on my sons mini and it worked for me but you have to be real care ful or the pin will break off.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all:
Sorry to take so long getting back; took a little vacation during the interim. However, before I left I tried the hair dryer approach as well as the fork trick; neither worked for me, so I went with the tooth pick. Working just fine so far and the orange paint I had for the other gauges touch-up blended the parts together real nice. Maybe not the most elegant solution but quite practical. We're talking daily driver here not show car.

Dan

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diablo said:
After killing several speedos in the junkyard I finally got a decent speedo and just pulled the whole thing.quote]

That will be my next step if the "toothpick" add-on gives out. However, with its tapered shape, right length, and paint that matches the needles on the other gauges it's indistinguishable from the original. We'll just have to see.

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Speedo Needle

On 78-87 El Caminos, you ca remove the speedo needle by holding the shaft at the rear and unscrewing the needle CLOCKWISE.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts