El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 El Camino
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the El Camino world, I just bought an '85. The dash lights didn't work so first I checked the fuse, all good. Then I went to change blubs (Only got one to work? any ideas on that be helpful also) but one blub fell behind the speedo, so I unbolted it and gave it a gentle pull to see how it was fixed in the cluster, but it didn't come loose so I decided to cut my losses and forget the blub, the next time I drove the speedo was not working (it previously did). Could I have loosened the cable just form a light tug? Any Ideas? Thanks!

·
Deputy Director Region 8
2,821 Posts
The speedo should be held on by a spring clip in the later 5th gens like yours. Did you pull the center section of the dash to get to the bulbs?.
Sounds like the cable got pulled out enough to prevent the engagement of the cable.

·
Premium Member
10,994 Posts
The speedo should be held on by a spring clip in the later 5th gens like yours. Did you pull the center section of the dash to get to the bulbs?.
Sounds like the cable got pulled out enough to prevent the engagement of the cable.
X2 on the spring clip. Push it back and see if it will connect.
Hi Jjohnson, welcome from Idaho. Glad you are here. Where abouts are you located? Hope you will meet members in your area and make friends. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 85. Have fun with your 85 and the community.

·
Registered
1985 El Camino
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
X2 on the spring clip. Push it back and see if it will connect.
Hi Jjohnson, welcome from Idaho. Glad you are here. Where abouts are you located? Hope you will meet members in your area and make friends. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 85. Have fun with your 85 and the community.
Thanks! I'll give that a try! I'm from Lodi, CA. So far it's been a blast! looking forward to plugging in with the community!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.