El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 355 TPiS Motor & 4L60E Transmission going into my Malibu, I know I have to change the tail housing to Manual but how long does is the speedometer cable ? My 78 Malibu came with a 2 Piece setup for a Cruise Control box I'm thinking...

the box...

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Not sure of any difference but, i have use inch cables,they have worked fine for me .if you are removing the cruse,if not i cant tell you .:texas:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you may have enough cable to reach the 4l60 s speedo. if not have a new made with about 4 inches. gm used to sell an extension for the lower cable,check with your local chevy dealer.it is aprox 12 inches long and screws onto the end of the lower cable. pull the reluctor off of the output shaft before you install it in the car .how are you going to make it shift as it needs the speed sensor input to shift? i i havent seen any 40 pulse external speed sensors

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I am removing the Cruise control. As far as shifting, it was shifting perfectly threw my computer which is hooked up to the TPiS wiring, not sure how don't ask me

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The 100 inch cable will have plenty of room !!! i have installed several . and CCC why would he need a cable made??? Just asking ,you can by cables all day long in diffrent lengths.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't think 100 would be too long ? I wanna have it a decent size that doesnt have much slack in it.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
he can buy the one for the 85 and newer with the 200r4. i didnt know he was removeing the cruise. i will measure the one i just removed from my 86.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
are you shure you have a 4l60 e trans ? if so it will need a speed sensor to know when to shift. the speedo cable is 84 in long. and i was running 4l60 trans, and bought the cable from gm for my 86 ss w/200r4 ,which was the factory trans.it was stolen and they took the drive train and everything from the doors forward.when reassembled it got a 400w/4l60 trans and the stock cable hooked right up with no slack

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought a new one-piece GM cable for a 200-4R G-body about 10 years ago. It's about 102". Routed the factory way, it's a perfectly fine length.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts