El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Elk for a drive and the speedometer wasn't working properly though town and the country roads. I had pia new cable in awhile back. The first time after the installation the speedometer worked great. The second time I ran it in town not over 25 mph. That trip it had fluctuations between 20 and 25 mph. Today it got up to 20, when I stepped on the gas, it took a lot of throttle to get the speedometer above 35 and I know I was going over 35 by a lot. Where's the best place to check the cable first for problem to correct it?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
easy to start at the tranny and check your speedo gear then start working your way back to the speedometer

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Could a real long cable cause this kind of issue?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Thank you. Could a real long cable cause this kind of issue?
don't know, but without knowing the recent history and what exactly was worked on and pulled apart and put back together, it's a lot of guessing. here's an analogy:
"I moved my fridge and now it's not cooling"
in the room?
"nope bought a new house and moved it there"
oh, so you transported it in a vehicle?
'yes'
did you lay it down?
'nope, stood up the whole time'
did you use a truck with a liftgate?
'no'
so how did you get it up into the truck?
"leaned it over and slid it in then stood it up"
oh, so you DID lay it sideways (or on its front/back), even for a few seconds?
"well...yeah, but...."
there ain't no buts.....

my day job is troubleshooting IT stuff as a Systems Analyst. you can see why people hate me 🤬:whistle:

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The old cable got messed up when I tried to turn it with my drill. It work right like it was supposed to. I was hooking up my Rostra cruise control to the transmission. So I replaced the bad with a new one that's 100 inches long. On the test drive checking out the speedometer and the cruise control everything worked great. Today was the third time I drove it after the new speedometer cable was installed. Is there any other thing you would like to know that would help solve the issue.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
what about the plastic gear in the transmission housing?

googling for speedo cable issues found these; you should take a look at a shorter cable as well as greasing it:

www.autoblog.com/2016/01/12/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-speedometer-cable/

www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-long-does-a-speedometer-cable-last

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. We had just put the transmission in before I started on the cruise control and it looked great. I also had sprayed graphite in the sheath before connecting it to the speedometer. I'll try to get it apart tomorrow afternoon. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
ahhh, graphite? the articles mention grease

When they assembled the speedometer cable at the factory, they filled the cable with bearing grease and then sealed both ends. This lubricant can leak out, deteriorate, or dry up over long periods of time. Without lubrication, the operation becomes noisy, but this is not the only problem. Since the cable runs from outside the car to up under the dash it takes a few twists and turns along the way. This can cause a binding situation that slows the cable down.

This results in a shaky needle that can make it difficult to read the miles per hour or at least drive you crazy trying to. Replacing the speedometer cable is one option, but there are two methods for lubricating the old cable that’s worth it to try first. For one method, they make a special speedometer cable lubricant that's installed where the cable attaches to the speedometer head. This specially formulated penetrating oil uses gravity to work its way down through the cable.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The graphite is a aerosol spray lubricant, that I sprayed into the new sheath around the cable. I'll have to check what other lubricants I can get. Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the transmission end of the speedometer cable it looks great. The search continues.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No I didn't pull the gear. That's in my to-do list. I've got to repair a tranny leak, I'll check it then. It looked like new a 100 miles ago.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
No I didn't pull the gear. That's in my to-do list. I've got to repair a tranny leak, I'll check it then. It looked like new a 100 miles ago.
fair enough, but you also weren't having this issue a 100 miles ago either, right?

when you pulled the cluster, did you also go thru cleaning all the contacts and grounds?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just took the old cable off and put the new one on. There's no electricity to it. It worked great on the first 10 mile trip after putting on the new cable. The next 5 mile trip was all in a 25 mph area. It worked great for 2.5 miles then acted up on the way home. The 3rd trip showed it was worse than I thought on the 2nd trip.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are complications of the speedometer cable being very long? Mine comes out of the firewall and goes for 24 inches forward before it starts going under the cab to the transmission. It's overall length is 100 inches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took the Elk for a drive and the speedometer wasn't working properly though town and the country roads. I had pia new cable in awhile back. The first time after the installation the speedometer worked great. The second time I ran it in town not over 25 mph. That trip it had fluctuations between 20 and 25 mph. Today it got up to 20, when I stepped on the gas, it took a lot of throttle to get the speedometer above 35 and I know I was going over 35 by a lot. Where's the best place to check the cable first for problem to correct it?
A lot of of people buy a universal speedo cable i.e. one that has a plastic tip at the speedometer end you cut to length and the plastic tip has to be heated properly and then cooled!

They are junk and sometime spin loose
Disconnect casing from Speedo pull cable and lube it properly and pull the gear at trans to check it . Make sure you count the teeth on the gear
There are tube videos show you how to determine your differential gear ratio
It’s got to be the correct speedo gear

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. Mine is metal. I think I'll pull the cruise control part of the speedometer cable and hook the new cable to the transmission. The only thing that seems that it's not there is that everything worked great after installing the new cable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you. Mine is metal. I think I'll pull the cruise control part of the speedometer cable and hook the new cable to the transmission. The only thing that seems that it's not there is that everything worked great after installing the new cable.
After swapping my speedometer for a rebuilt 0-140 mph version, I find that it bottoms out at 22 mph. I decided to give up for now, and bought a GPS heads-up-display that sits on the dash right above the steering wheel. It's been pretty handy.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you I'll check into a GPS.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I checked with Rostra cruise control this morning. The speed sensor won't cause this issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts