El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I'm putting this in the right location. If not, maybe a mod can move this.

I replace the sensor & the speedometer cable in my 85 Elco & it works for several miles then it drops & doesn't move till I park & leave again. I've grown a lil frustrated cause 1st of all, the sensor wasn't cheap. After that didn't work, I thought the cable would do the trick. I had to mess with the cable a bit cause the pin at the bottom didn't stick out enough to go in the tranny. Seems like it works for a good 7 miles & then it stops. Anyone have similar issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
Maybe the speedometer drive &/or driven gears are going bad ? :dontknow:

·
Registered
852 Posts
does it have cruise control? might check there. put the trans end of the cable in a drill and spin it (the right direction, to mimick the car moving forward) watch what happens after a min. maybe itll narrow down your problem

·
Supporting Member
4,475 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does it have cruise control? might check there. put the trans end of the cable in a drill and spin it (the right direction, to mimick the car moving forward) watch what happens after a min. maybe itll narrow down your problem
The car doesn't have CC.

I'll take another look at the gear & see what shape it's in.
Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
does your odometer stop when the speedo stops.if so you need to look at your cable or gears. when you changed the cable did you get it fully seated in the head,did you tug on the cable to make sure it was locked in fully ? i have seen the core of the cable too short to stay engaged and also seen the drive gear migrate out of position on the trans output shaft.whitch trans are you running, do you have a speedo ratio adapter in between the speedo cable and trans?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does your odometer stop when the speedo stops.if so you need to look at your cable or gears. when you changed the cable did you get it fully seated in the head,did you tug on the cable to make sure it was locked in fully ? i have seen the core of the cable too short to stay engaged and also seen the drive gear migrate out of position on the trans output shaft.whitch trans are you running, do you have a speedo ratio adapter in between the speedo cable and trans?
The odometer doesn't stop. The speedometer just quits working after several miles, less than 10. With the cable I purchased, the pin wasn't sticking out enough so I pushed the cable out more & crimped it but not too much. A good amount of the pin now enters the gear so I doubt it's getting out of position. I have a TH350.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
ok if your odometer is still going when the speedo isnt the speedo head is bad as they both run off of the same cable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts