El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 83 el camino since i got it speeometer never worked. I just changed the speedometer cable going to the cruise control box thing and still didnt work any ideas on how to fix it?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
check the speedometer cable coming out of the trans. also check the small plastic speedometer gear in the trans.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cable seems seems to be chipped off a bit at the tip. Where can i get the cable with the plastic speedometer gear?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
There is 2 cables for the ones with cruise ! Speedo to cruise control & cruise control to tranny !!

·
Registered
184 Posts
To test the guage and cable, you can clamp the cable in a drill and spin it while someone checks to see if the guage is reading. If nothing, problem is in the cable or guage. If the guage reads something, start by pulling out the plastic gear where the cable enters the tranny as this is a fast and easy check.

that plastic gear is driven by another one. As you are pulling the one check to see if you find any plastic of another color as unfortunately it is often the inner one that fails.

Let us know what happens please.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks horseman ill give that a try. How would i know if the plastic gear needs to be changed and if so were can i get those plastic gears?

·
Registered
184 Posts
They are usually good or there is NO question they need replacing :poke: They can be picked up over the counter at any tranny shop. They are designated by color. There is a good chance yours will be a light green but there are several colors. This is why I said look for another color plastic when pulling it out which could indicate a failure of the inner plastic gear.

Of course in all of this, look for the REASON for the failure, not the SYMPTOM. If the gears are stripped try turning your cable by hand. If it is too tight or kinked or such it could make it drag too much and thus would have caused the weak plastic gear to strip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts