El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new El Camino owner and new to this forum. The car came from my father-in-law, who purchased it new. He called tonight telling me that it has SplitFire plugs that really helped when they were installed.

God only know when they were installed as the engine is a mess and the spark plug wires or dist cap one gave me a bite while messin around.

I feel it probably needs some new plug wires and wonder if I should clean and re-use the SplitFires or ditch them for fresh ACs? What are the recmmended AC plugs?

The engine is a tired stock 305.

·
Registered
492 Posts
How far can you throw? :?

No disrespect to good old dad but grab those Splitfire plugs and throw them as far away as you can!!

I have been running Autolite in my Chevy's for years!

Autolite...period!

Just my 2 cents and pick for spark plugs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have to agree with 70ELCO. Except go with the plantinum, #AP26. Started using them when the old motor started fouling the # 8 plug about every 1000 to 1500 miles. Put these puppies in and went between yearly tune-ups with no problems. Made it to over 200,000 on a 350 chevy. Good plug for not near the price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
70ELCO said:
I have been running Autolite in my Chevy's for years!

Autolite...period!
Probably good advice to toss the SpitFire's. I was surprised to
see you recomment Autolite plug for a GM product.

Any model number you want to recomend?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I started using Autolite's in my '71 Z/28 Camaro in the mid 70's. Why they work better I don't have an answer. They just do. I even run them in my lawn mower. You will be surprised at car shows peeking in there between the spark plug wire boots and the head and seeing the little word “Autolite” stamped on so many spark plugs in Chevy’s!

I had the same thought years ago when all the guys in the California Z/28 Association club I belonged to told me to use Autolite's in a GM product. All the tech guys in the club tested, tested, and tested this stuff. They just knew and told me don't ask so many questions let the results speak for themselves!

Fast forward from the 70's...I go to a Turbo Buick Grand National meeting and the talk of spark plugs came up. A new young member asked what plugs to run? I say to myself all confident….Autolite. I was right on with everyone running Autolite’s in the Buick’s but then I learn “Never” run “platinum” plugs in a turbo car! So I’m still learning.

With our non-turbo Chevy’s the Autolite platinum plugs are great!

As far as what number to use in your year car, I don’t know. What ever the parts numbers for your year motor calls for will work.

·
1,867 Posts
I say stay ac delco! I run accels v groove for a while but went back to standard acs. I run a msd-6a, blaster coil & a increased gap. Runs great.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've personally have never run splitfires in any of my vehicles but, my dad installed a set in his '57 Pontiac and loved the response he got out of them. In my Elky, I'm running Bosch single electrode platinums. They've been in there for almost 4 years and havn't skipped a beat. Very happy with those results! 8)

·
1,867 Posts
Chvypwr, It's good to see that Bosch plugs are good for something because they completely suck in imports. I autocrossed a Z car for many years & all the guys would tell you to stay away from them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been running the Bosch Platinum single electrode plugs in my engine as well. They've been in there for well over 100K miles and still running fine. I don't know if they are giving me the ultimate in the ignition of the charge, but they don't foul or miss. Would that my camshaft were that durable :) .

My ignition is still a stock distributor with a coil. With a higher-powered ignition, you might get different results (may explain them not agreeing well with imports). I doubt my current ignition can really leverage some of the more exotic multiple electrode designs out there.

They also did pretty good on my '95 Monte Carlo (3.1L V6) when I installed some there. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either. Of course, that engine went to Valhalla about 20K miles later so I don't have any long-term data.

·
1,867 Posts
I have run or installed for others over a dozen msd systems & they always run better with standard plugs & spiral core wires. NGK always on imports. ACs on Chevys, altough one guy runs standard autolites in his dodge with good results. I might try autolites next time to see how they run.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I've read, from AC's and Bosch, and Edlebrock tech, and AFR's tech that the plug used should match the performance level of the engine. In some cases a stock plus is fin and in some case a hotter plug is better or a cooler plug might do well in some situations. You don't really have to take my word for it you can check these manufacturer's web sits and lots of them have a section on plug selection.

Bottom line is your compression and types of heads should dictate the plug numbers. I think RPM works into the selection mix somehow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ElkyPete said:
...... You don't really have to take my word for it you can check these manufacturer's web sits and lots of them have a section on plug selection.
After reading several comments I will go with the good old AC's when I decide to tackel the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts