El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed this headliner console which includes a cigarette lighter under the first panel in addition to the lights you see. I assumed I wouldn't be able to use the lighter since there are only the dome light wires available- is this true or can I split those wires and send a set to the lighter as well? They're on the same circuit so it seems like it would work.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2481834850107490599qFbhvO

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They're on the same circuit so it seems like it would work.
I mean the other lighter is on the same circuit, so the amps match.

Incidentally, I just got a new stereo installed and I noticed that they tapped into the dash's lighter to power it so I wonder if I'm probably overdoing that circuit if I add another lighter up top.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would use another circuit IMHO. What is that console out of it is sharp looking :texas:

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
How often do you think you would have both lighters pushed in heating up at the same time? The orange wire is hot all the time. the lighter would just need a good ground as well. I wouldn't think it would be a problem. My 03 Ranger has three lighter/power plugs on the same fuse and has never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Nice console:beer:

If it were me I probably wouldnt even hook up the overhead lighter.

That being said, hooking up to the original lighter circ should be ok, or run a seperate wire down the 'a' pillar and hook to an open circ in the fuse box.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it should be fine running its power from the dome light wire as mentioned above give it a good ground the orange is the hot and you cant use the white as your ground because it is controlled by the door pins and wont have any ground unless the doors are open. i have lighted sun visors and map lights in the mirror all running of of the dome wire with no overload issues

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! The console is out of a 96 Grand Prix. I was replacing the headliner anyway so I just went for it.

So, dumb question.... If I split the dome wiring, how do I add a ground? Sorry, my knowledge of electricity and wiring is zero.

You guys are awesome, thanks again

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
just screw a groung wire to the roof braceing not the skin and run it to your accesories

1 - 10 of 10 Posts