El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,692 Posts
Whatever you do, don't spray it black unless it's already a black vehicle...makes it look like a coal skuttle.
I completely agree. I see trucks with really nice exterior paint with really ugly black spray-in bed liner. BUT, having tried to bring two El Camino beds back to "new" condition - not 100% successful - I also understand why anyone would be reluctant to go that route. As I've said, in previous threads, I've seen some really attractive "body color" spray-in liners.

B52Bombardier1 (Rick) and I had this same conversation recently. He got a quote from Linex "I heard back from "Rose City Detail", the Linex distributor in Tyler, TX. They want $725 to do a 70 EC bed in color matched spray with the UV protection.

It's a six hour job but they need to preorder the paint. So it's a coordination process and you can't just show up at these places and get it done that day. Basically, it's a 2-3 day lead time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had Scorpion berliner sprayed in after full paint job. They clear coated after and in looks outstanding. Car is red, bedliner black .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Twisted Wrench,

I finished a complete restore of my 70 Elkie. One of the most difficult problems was getting that old bed liner paint off.

Instead of painting on the bed liner paint (which is almost permanent), I would invest in one of those bed liner rubber mats. Almost all the El Camino stores sell them and that way you won't have to deal with bed liner paint removal in the future.
Bill Elkie

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a while '83, and I rolled liner then spray painted it red. It came out really nice. You just have to make sure to get all the paint off before you put the liner in.

·
Elkybuick
2,712 Posts
I did mine from Advance Auto looks great. Also if you use yours for yard trash put a tarp down first then when you take it out all at one time the trash comes out all at one time and doesn't hurt the bed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had mine sprayed with a bullet liner and love it. The bed in my 59 was pretty rough and I have just finished repaint and interior and this made the bed work easy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like HandOverFist's idea of adding your base color to it. I just did mine black, but the body is also black. I did the roll-on Hurculiner and am pleased with it, but it does NOT have UV protection. When I first coated the bed it was a nice shiny black, and now three months later it is more of a charcoal/satin. But I'm not upset about it, because I knew it would happen.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used Herculiner roll on and it looks good on my 86. Bed liner is black, body is mostly silver but black top and bottom trim. Was not much of an effort to use the roll on but cleaning the bed prior to using the roll on was a tad hard to do. It is in the garage most of the time so I haven't noticed the fade mentioned in above post.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Spray on bedliner

My '84 was a hand me down from my father-in-law and it came with the rubber mat. I just had a complete repaint, stock Briar Brown, and had them do the spray on liner and it looks great. I kept the mat too. Turned out great and the black looks good with the brown, unlike brown shoes with a black suit.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I kept the rubber mat in my Caballero & put a gray/black carpet on the floor & sides & yes I have of course a fiberglass lid on the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Look up Durabak, I used it and looks awesome,and it comes in different colors. brushed it on myself over what was already on there, check out my garage pics and for sale pics, done it in gray

21 - 33 of 33 Posts