El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must fix my steering components. Getting parts together and looking at springs.
1st I'm not dropping the car until maybe after i retire in 50ish year...

I was on Rockauto.com and the springs I decided upon are: Moog CC627 Rr Variable rate springs and Moog 5608 Fr W/A/C Heavy Duty Constant Rate.

Should I stick with those or should I try the 5660 front from the s-10? What about different spring models all together? Should I just change Shocks and not worry about springs right away?

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll add this, why does all the cool stuff have to be so expensive?

· Registered
123 Posts
im not too sure about the newer model years but when i had to replace the springs in my 66 (the stock six cylinder springs wouldn't work with the big block) i bought the aftermarket lowering springs for around $200, they were well worth the money make the car look and feel a million times better

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't afford to lower my cruck, I still have to climb curbs occasionally.

I hear about using other springs from other cars, but it usually is talk of drop spindles and lowering a car... What is going to give me a stiffer ride? If it matters I did put in a 350.

· Registered
123 Posts
again i don't know about the model year your working with, but any spring from any vehicle that has the same diameter of coil should work, might take a bit of cutting the coils to get the correct ride height, its not the "proper" way to go but it works. If you choose a spring from a vehicle with a heavier front end it should have thicker coils which would give it less play, hence stiffer ride. That is what i did for my rear springs on my elky, i got springs that were for some way heavier car, not sure where from, i was a swap meet find, but the bottom and top diameter were the same as stock, so i chopped away from the top of the coil till i got the ride height i wanted, and i had my stiff lowered springs on the cheap. Again this was all on the suspension of a 66, so im not sure whats different on the later years

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
again i don't know about the model year your working with, but any spring from any vehicle that has the same diameter of coil should work, might take a bit of cutting the coils to get the correct ride height, its not the "proper" way to go but it works. If you choose a spring from a vehicle with a heavier front end it should have thicker coils which would give it less play, hence stiffer ride. That is what i did for my rear springs on my elky, i got springs that were for some way heavier car, not sure where from, i was a swap meet find, but the bottom and top diameter were the same as stock, so i chopped away from the top of the coil till i got the ride height i wanted, and i had my stiff lowered springs on the cheap. Again this was all on the suspension of a 66, so im not sure whats different on the later years
I don't know cars to choose springs from. I don't even know dimensions of my springs. Or how to figure it out.

What year station wagon?

· Registered
4,280 Posts
As far as the rear goes, I swapped to station wagon springs from the 78-83 g-body years from NPD. I think the 4th gen years also fit.The rear can be height & stiffness adjusted with either air shocks or slip in bags. there are older posts on that here.
On the front, if you want a taller ride height , the diesel models , such as my 83 was, had springs that will lift a standard small block. Springs listed for ac & or hd should be a little taller than others. Keep in mind there are no exact figures for exact ride height differences & any new springs.
I,m sure some websites have listed specs for listed spring part #'s to help you make a decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.