El Camino Central Forum banner

Spring spacers???

6K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  11thhourfabrication 
#1 ·
Hello all.
I just can't say how happy I am with my new to me, El Camino, but as with any car, there is always something I want to address. This times it's the front stance. Now I'm thinking at this point it's more the front end sit's to low, versus the rear end sitting to high. But, the truck DOES have some brand of a "Coil Over" type rear shock (see pic). That being said, I'm not trying to build a Gasser, but I would like to raise the front end up to LEVEL the trucks stance. To me the easiest, and most cost effective way would be to install a simple Spring Spacer. Something like this.....

Before I order up a set, I'd like to hear from forum members who have ideas about raising front ends. I've used these in the past with perfectly acceptable results, but that was well over 35 years ago, and both technology and part availability can change. Any input before I pull the trigger would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How old do you think the front springs are?
If you are still running the original springs they are probably pretty wore out.
A new set of springs could give you what you need. They spacers are definitely the cheapest but how is the ride?
My car has new springs both front and rear with airbags in place of the air shocks in the rear. Sits level. has a nice ride.
Is ride quality something that is important to you?

Attachments

#3 ·
Except for a few parts that obviously have been replaced, such as the shiny sway bar end links, bushings and shocks, I "think" the front suspension is pretty much as it came from the factory. Ride quality is very high up on the list. This is my first El Camino, and one of the reasons that made me decide I HAD TO HAVE IT, was how fantastic it rode. I mean, for a 40 year old vehicle, this thing rides smooth as silk, no rattles, nothing. I know there's always room for improvement on ANY stock suspension, but I certainly wouldn't want to change the plush ride. Performance style G-Machine racers are nothing that interests this old man :) A Smooth ride while bangin' gears is all I care about.

I would think, given the fact the springs are probably original, SAG is very likely the cause of the 70's style Street Machine stance. Them being worn a bit, combined with the coil over rear shocks.

I wish I knew how much the front end would come up with just a spring swap. My Buddy suggested Wagon springs, but I thought that might stiffen up the ride......if they have a higher Spring Rate. He thinks they do and would lift the El Camino front end. I simply have no idea if wagon springs are a different spring rate from stock El Camino springs? And I'm don't know how to figure out how much rise a spring would give. At least with spacers, the manufacture "Claims" a number.

#4 ·
I don't think that the Malibu wagon springs would be different for the front. The rears are probably different on them. Many different springs can be used though. Any G body car will fit. The ride height of the spring will be more dependent on what motor is in the car. Different motors, different springs used.
Springs themselves are not very expensive, but if you cannot do the labor yourself that is what gets you.
If ride quality is what you are after I would really urge you to consider new springs all the way around, and air bags in the rear in lieu of the air shocks/coil over shocks in the rear.
You will find that is what most people run on this site and are very happy with it. And a set of gas shocks all around also.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I'm a fair mechanic, but doing either Springs, OR Spring spacers requires me to take it to a shop. All I got is a gravel driveway, so a spring swap isn't practical. But I use a local shop who does me right. The labor for either springs or spacers will be virtually identical. So I'm just looking for the best way to lift the front up, that will give me the stance I am looking for. New springs might be the best option. I'm not touching the rear. Everything looks new and rides great. The front shocks look like they have been replaced, and the trucks only got 70k on it. So the shocks can't have many miles on them. Especially given the exemplary ride the truck currently has. I'm checking out springs now. Thanks, Neil

#6 ·
I have been using S10 front springs on several I have worked on and the ride height and ride is just right.

Reactions: bikerlaw
#10 ·
I would be wondering if the previous owner, having installed rear coil overs, also did some front changes. Have your shop check the front spindles to see if they are drop spindles or stock, before buying springs. If the PO installed drop spindles, then you will probably want to get stock replacements, instead of changing the ride feel with different springs. While the springs are indeed inexpensive, you want to know if that is indeed what you are going to need. Remember, you like the smooth ride now, it is only the stance that you are looking to change.

#11 ·
I know You're looking to raise the front to level things out but I'm thinking, are those actual coil-overs or shocks with helper springs? Some guys use them to get more rake or load capacity. My car is sitting on 130k original springs and KYB's at all 4 corners. It sit's perfectly level unloaded with a full tank of gas and will raise a bit (maybe 1/2") when around 1/4 tank. If I'm right and you really want to just level your ride, I would just remove the rear shocks and see how she sits. If all is good, just get a pair of standard KYB's or equivalent from the local auto supply and call it good. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Classic car

Joe

#13 ·
Yeah, ride quality is paramount, but I don't want to level it by lowering the rear. Not cause I don't like lowered trucks, as you might see the S10 that appears in so many of the Elko's pictures, has a very nice 2/3 drop. I want something different with this truck. And I happen to think the square body El Camino's (and Malibu's for that matter), really look nice with a little bit of a high stance to them. I think it's gonna come down to springs or spacers to get the level stance I'm looking for.

#16 ·
hey ya neil,
you're a fairly good mechanic (as you stated) so try the spacers first. they are cheap, readily available and EASY to put in. just jack the front end up, one side at a time, slip them in, lower the car. it'll take less than an hour (1/2 hour without beer). if you don't like the look, reverse the procedure and return them.

the next level is new coil springs. for those of us with 60s & 70s el caminos, we can get oem coils for our model but specify a big block engine. the increased weight capacity lifts the front around 2" (+or-). gm didn't put the 80s models out with big blocks but they did put diesel engines in some. like big block v8s, diesel engines are about 150 pounds heavier than small block gas engines. it would be fair to guess this will provide the same lift as big block springs for an older model. the ride will be a bit firmer but not "racer-x" firm.

here's a chart for npd aftermarket oem style springs

here's a set of 84' diesel front springs for $100.00

here's a set of 84' oem replacement small block front springs for $100.00

now get out in the garage and have at it amigo. much of the joy for me in owning my 65' el camino is in making subtle changes like this and seeing what happens. keep in mind, you can always change it back and try something else.

devo

#17 ·
hey ya neil,
you're a fairly good mechanic (as you stated) so try the spacers first. they are cheap, readily available and EASY to put in. just jack the front end up, one side at a time, slip them in, lower the car. it'll take less than an hour (1/2 hour without beer). if you don't like the look, reverse the procedure and return them.

devo
Lol, I like to think I am. But old age and cancer has taken it's toll. Plus, me and the wife recently moved into this new (to us) house. Its got no garage. And doing a spring swap on the front lawn with this G-Tube isn't really practical. I'll do basics, but the tube in my stomach means bending down and straining my gut, would result in breakfast fertilizing the lawn. Believe me, being a Wyo Tech grad means I HATE paying people to do work I could myself. But the reality is, sometimes I have to..... ;)

Attachments

#18 ·
Hello all.
I just can't say how happy I am with my new to me, El Camino, but as with any car, there is always something I want to address. This times it's the front stance. Now I'm thinking at this point it's more the front end sit's to low, versus the rear end sitting to high. But, the truck DOES have some brand of a "Coil Over" type rear shock (see pic). That being said, I'm not trying to build a Gasser, but I would like to raise the front end up to LEVEL the trucks stance. To me the easiest, and most cost effective way would be to install a simple Spring Spacer. Something like this.....

Before I order up a set, I'd like to hear from forum members who have ideas about raising front ends. I've used these in the past with perfectly acceptable results, but that was well over 35 years ago, and both technology and part availability can change. Any input before I pull the trigger would be greatly appreciated.

Neil
Factory replacement 350 CID with A/C front coil springs is your answer. I've used them on all my builds including my tunnel rammed 454 and the ride height is perfect. New front springs with your coil over rear shocks, yep.

#20 ·
Wow, it's CRAZY that you brought back this old post, when you did.
I bought these 1.5 inch spring spacers and I am getting ready to have them installed shortly.
Yeah, I could do them myself if I had the gumption, but my local guy made me a Covid/Virus money offer on installation, so I just can't say no. I'm in the middle of doing my Phoney Baloney Hurst conversion, and getting a level stance is part of the equation.
I just finished painting the wheels Hurst Dazzler Gold, and the correct Hurst Decal package goes on next. Then the spring Spacers finish off the stance. So yeah, not building a Gasser, but a proper level Elco is what I am after..... :)

Attachments

#22 ·
Agreed, that is excellent advice! My problem is that "I think" my front springs are original to the El Camino. Which was a factory 229 six popper. It's now a 400 Small block V8. So I'm also having bottoming out issues up front due to the extra weight of the V8. Lowering the back to level it out, still leaves me with that problem up front. Raising the front to level it out, might be more advantageous to me than dropping the rear. Here's a better side picture of the Elco, showing the ...high in back, low in front, stance. And why I thought that a cheap pair of spring spacers might level it just enough. Thoughts?

Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.