El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Nobody runs a lift for 22s. If your suspension is in good shape and you get the right rims with the proper offset and you don't put a truck tire on they will fit fine.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Why would you run 22's anyway?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have seen some tastefully done g bodies on 20's and 22's. Once you start lifting the thing it serves no purpose and in my opinion looks silly. There was a 5th gen with 20 inch torque thrusts I saw awhile back that looked nasty. Whatever you do don't lift it, it will require the geometry of the suspension to be completely changed from stock, and cause a ton of ride, handling and alignment issues. Plus one of those tires is more than what I pay for a set of my BFG's. It is your choice what you want to put on your ride, and if you most put 22's on it, buy the right ones like I said with the proper offset and tires.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
:stern: I have 20"s on my 78 and LOVE the look, the ride, and handling with them. I had to raise the front about 1 1/2 inches in the front and I have air shocks on the rear that I keep about 55lbs psi in them. There had to be about 2 inches shaved off the lower front of the wheel well for turning/rubbing issues, but other than that, nothing else had to be done. I have plenty of clearance all the way around on mine. I would've raised mine up like it is anyway without the 20"s, just to be sure I have good ground clearance for my awesome side pipes. I've heard people say that having my 20"s on will eat up my transmission, brakes, etc. and that I'm ruining a perfectly good Elky, and I've yet to see any issues with them. If you like the look, it's your car, do it! I personally love the look of mine, and don't care what anyone else thinks. :beer:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have 20's in the back... but I also have 305 drag radials on them. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Don't lift it too high...

·
Registered
158 Posts
i had 24s on my elco 87 i just bought the back shocks and a kit from auto zone.... to lift it up and cut the front fenders and thats it.. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
A guy told me he had 20s on his elky and I figured it would look like crap. It actually looked sharp. But it was done tastefully and correctly.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have seen some tastefully done g bodies on 20's and 22's. Once you start lifting the thing it serves no purpose and in my opinion looks silly. There was a 5th gen with 20 inch torque thrusts I saw awhile back that looked nasty. Whatever you do don't lift it, it will require the geometry of the suspension to be completely changed from stock, and cause a ton of ride, handling and alignment issues. Plus one of those tires is more than what I pay for a set of my BFG's. It is your choice what you want to put on your ride, and if you most put 22's on it, buy the right ones like I said with the proper offset and tires.
Yeah I hear You No lift and 22in rims my largest and my american racing 15in rims. What is proper offset for 22in rims for my 86 elk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts