El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: I HAVE A CHOO CHOO CUSTOM NOSE ONLY AND I WANT TO PUT IT ON MY 80 ELCAMINO. I ALSO HAVE A 85 ELKY NOSE FRONT END(DUAL HEADLIGHTS) WILL THE PARTS FIT THIS NOSE CONVERSION OR WILL ORIGINAL 83-88 MONTE CARLO SS PARTS FIT. HEADLIGHT BUCKETS
TURNSIGNAL/PARK LIGHTS BUMPER PAD. AND DO I NEED TO INSTALL A FRONT IMPACT BAR AS WELL . ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT COULD HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
SS Conversion

Question: Do you already have the Monte donor parts already ? If so you're good to go. If not, I think the buckets will work, but you will need a "filler pad" that supports the top of the nose above the buckets.

Hopefully the other guys will chime to correct me if I'm wrong.

PS: QUIT YELLIN (turn off the caps) :wink:

H

·
0 Posts
I have a complete 85 elcamino front end with Dual headlights buckets and turn signal/parklights. All I have for the nose conversion is the nose. Will the parts work. Or do I need to look for a monte for donor parts. Will
a factory bumper pad work or should I get the one from the elcamino store. I have located a new bumper pad its Original for 88 MC SS. Will it work :D Thank you for the help

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
SS Nose

homerj_1;

I'll bet that the 88 MC pad will work, still don't know about the turn signals though.

I checked Honest Charley's site to see how they breakdown the nose conversion kit. It was useless as they sell the kit complete.

I'll "nose" :lol: around a little today to see if I can find someone that has already done this project

On another note, please keep copious notes & digital pics if you can of the conversion. It would make a great "How to" article.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:lol: excellent that helps so much I guess I will just have to try the turnsignals out and see if they will fit. and the buckets if not i will have to find a donor. I also found a front impact bar original for montess I think that would work as to cut up a bumper per instruction thanks i have been looking for info for a while. Just did not want to start on it without the know how .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:roll: Hey Guys, I just talked to some guy at lauren eng and he says that there is NO WAY! that a Monte donor will work. Says they are two different cars and there is no way He also says that his headlight buckets will not work. I also e-mailed Ray Buck to see if he could help Any Suggestions

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Why won't the Lauren buckets work, are they made specifically for his repop nose ?

Guess I'd wait for Ray to get back to you...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:roll: He says that the bolt pattern is different plus I would need the mounting brackets to install the headlight buckets. He also seem to think that a MC SS front end pieces would not fit either I Heard from Ray He said to try elcaminss web site They offer replacement parts for the choo choo nose conversion kits so I am going to call them and see what they say I will let you know Thanks for all The info

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have my the front clip off of my choo choo now and all choo choo did when they did the conversion was use the 83 factory gm parts. to me it looks like they just took a 83 header panel and they used a die grinder and cut the head light buckets off the header and used them with head lights and all and there also the same 83 park lights with a little mod at the ends but they put the right on the left and the left on the right i know because i bought two new park lights and the part no is the same as a 83 malibou on the lens just reversed and moded and if you saw the brackets any one with sheet metal skills could copy them.and they still have the chrome bumper behind the nose with the ends cut off. Todd

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:) O.k. The Nose at lauren eng is similar to the choo choo here's the diffence's that I knoewof so far.
Laureneng Nose's use there compostie headlight's that is why the bolt pattern is different and you have to have support brackets coming from the radiator support and the fenders to help support the headlight buckets.basically there headlight buckets bolt to the nose with extre support brackets in place.
Choo Choo Nose use's 83-88 MC SS headlight buckets and turn signal's and the headlight buckets bolt to the header panel and then the nose goes on over it with some support.
Laureneng also said the original MC SS front impact bar/ and filler pad would not work either. there would be gap between filler pad and nose piece. He says that while travel down the interstate that the nose would push in . toward the filler pad and then when you stop it would return to the original shape , but eventually it would crack the nose. He seemed like a really nice guy said he would help in any way he could said he had the outside(between fender and nose) Z support brackets that I may need and he said if needed to he could modify it for me. He said when I got ready and needed help to call him just thought I would keep you guys up to date on what i have found.You guys have been great. I have learnes so much since I joined yesterday. Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Homer 1 choo choo didn't use the monte ss lights or buckets or any thing off a monte ss because the monte ss wasn't built yet the first year for the monte ss was 84 and the parts were not avalible yet when they started doing there choo choo elkys in 83 .so choo choo used 83 elky parts they cut the elky header panel and used elky park lights and made brackets to mount the head light buckets to the rad support and they cut out the original bumper for the park lights to fit in side and also cut the bumper ends. and the filler pad for the bumper is some kind of a sponge material that is screwed to the chrome bumper. at least thats the way my 83 choo choo ss was built in 83 i have my hole front rubber bumper and head lights assembly taken off and apart in my garage right now because im doing a complete restoration on my elky this winter. you should realy try to look at a real choo choo. it realy wouldn't be that hard to make the brackets your self. i hope my info can help. Todd

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:D Todd thank you so much for all the help. I have a 85 elky complete front end, header panel, headlight buckets and turn signal Do you think that will work. I can get the filler pad for elcamino store or honest charley's I'm pretty sure I can make the brackets. So If that will work I should be in pretty good shape? Thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
195 Posts
those parts should work you just need to know where and how to cut the header panel its to bad you can't find a choo choo to look at close to you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
8) Hey Guys, I justed wanted to tell you what I found out today. I found a place called Choo Choo Custom's Specialty Parts Division. 1-800-475-6919. I called them today and I was able to purchase the headlight buckets the fastner kits and the installation brackets. He also said that the MC SS filler pad would work He is also including a set of installation instuctions. This guy was great. i ask him if they were connected with Honest charley's He said no that they were to different company's and the parts were also different. Just wanted to let you know what I found out.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
installing custom nose

I recently saw a 30-minute video on one of the cable networks about how to install new front end, hood, and rolled rear bumper on a 5th gen Elky. The show was "Two Guys Garage" which used to be known as Crank and Chrome, hosted by Dave and Sam. You can access their web site to get details about getting a copy of the video at
www.twoguysgarage.com

I have a copy of my own which can be borrowed if need be. Good luck.
I have just installed a Crystalite IROC SST nose made in 1989 on my '83 and am working on some of the same problems, especially getting the correct composite headlights units.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts