El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 77 Elky SS I'm restoring. I'm trying to find the specifications on the stripping options that were available that year. This SS came loaded with all the power options and the Cowl Induction hood. The original paint was an after market job, so I'm trying to restore it back to what was available in 77. The only detail I can find is: Two strips with a SS on each end and a SS in the middle of the tailgate. Need dimensions to reproduce or any other information on SS strip options.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... Yes, I've been there and they don't show any details for the 77/SS strips. I've seen kits for sale for decals but no pictures or dimensions. I've searched GM and every detail, stripping, and aftermarket site I can think of. I bought the Fisher body books for that year, no info on strip patterns or design layout.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link, but the drawing isn't to scale for a reproduction. Here's some El Camino information I've managed to gather while researching my 77 SS that may be of interest:

The fourth generation El Caminos were built from 1973 to 1977. These were the largest El Caminos built. By 1973, performance was starting to diminish, but sales of El Caminos were still strong. These El Caminos have never received the attention and admiration bestowed upon the earlier (and latter) El Caminos, but they are now starting to get some attention. In 1973 the Standard and Custom models were joined by an "Estate" model which featured simulated woodgrain siding. The SS model continued, but became more and more just a trim option. The GMC Sprint continued in production with the Standard, Custom, and "High Sierra" models. The GMC Sprint High Sierra was basically equivalent to the El Camino Estate.

In 1974, the Custom model was replaced with the "Classic" model. The Classic could be ordered with one of three trim packages: the SS, the Estate, or the "Conquista". The Conquista featured two-tone paint and special trim. The GMC Sprint did not have an equivalent to the Conquista in 1974, but the Sprint Classic could be ordered with SS or High Sierra trim. By 1974, there was no longer a Chevelle SS option (only a Laguna "S-3" option). However, the El Camino SS continued for many more years.

A few '75 El Caminos have been reported with "Laguna" style front ends. The front nose from a Chevelle Laguna coupe can be bolted onto an El Camino. Chevrolet records do not show any such vehicles as being factory built, but they could have been special dealer-installed or aftermarket packages. In 1975 a GMC Sprint equivalent to the El Camino Conquista was introduced. It was called the GMC Sprint "Sierra Madre del Sur".

In 1976, the Estate and High Sierra models were deleted. The Standard model now featured two round headlights (as before), while the Classic had a different grille with four rectangular headlights, two stacked vertically on each side. The SS and SP packages could be ordered on the Standard or Classic models. The 1977 models were virtually unchanged from 1976.

(In 1977 there were only 5,226 SS production models made)!

In the south west part of the country, a special edition 1977 "Camino Del Rey" was offered. It included wheel flares on all four wheel wells, a front air dam, a rear spoiler, and "Camino Del Rey" decals on the lower portion of the doors. This package was typically offered on the Conquista model. It was probably dealer-installed.

All Chevrolets (and El Caminos) have a VIN number beginning with "1", while all GMCs (and Sprints) have a VIN number beginning with "5". A '71 "Standard" Sprint would have a VIN starting with "533801" (6-cylinder) or "534801" (V8). A '71 "Custom" Sprint would have a VIN starting with "536801" (V8 only). The seventh character in the VIN would be one of three letters for the assembly plant : "B"-Baltimore, "K"-Kansas City (Leeds), or "L"-Los Angeles (Van Nuys). The last six characters in the VIN would be the vehicle serial number, starting at "100001".The Sprint could be had with all the same options that were available on the El Camino. There was even a Sprint "SP" version which was similar to the El Camino "SS". The SP was an option package added to a "Custom" Sprint. The SP came with the same 15x7 5-spoke wheels used on the '71 Chevelle SS, but with "GMC" on the center caps instead of the Chevrolet logo. The SP also had a round speedometer, while most of the non-SP models had the rectangular speedometer.

As with the Chevelle SS and El Camino SS, a "Cowl Induction" system was available at extra cost, but it was not part of the SP package, and few were ordered. If Cowl Induction was not ordered on an SP, then the SP would come with the "SS" style bulge hood. Non-SPs had the "flat" hood.
"SP" side stripes:

The '73-'77 Sprint SP could come with upper body stripes that ran from the middle of the fender back to the tailgate. At the front of the stripes (on the fenders) were the letters "SP". This is exactly the same as the '73-'77 El Camino SS stripes (except, of course, the letters were "SP" and not "SS"). The '77 Sprint sales brochure shows a slightly different style of "SP" lettering than the '73-'76 brochures. It is unclear if there really was any difference or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's going to take a few days. The mill is trying to bury me in overtime. I'll get you detailed pictures of mine. Mabey that will give you a template. Do you want dimensions from the top?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts