El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Elco 350ci, 4bbl, auto. Can anyone help? My Elco stalls one out of every five stops. Replaced: fuel filter, fuel pump, rebuilt Carb.(stalled with the old one also), air filter, plugs, rotor, wires, cap, new pointless distributor, coil, checked vacuum lines for leaks, timing. I'm at my wits end!

·
Registered
107 Posts
How old is the torque converter? If you just put a new one in I have seen it happen once, but only once, that the new converter was causing the motor to stall out under a hard stop (it didn't stall every time but would get close) 1 out of 4 stops. I got him to put in a converter from a good reputable company that was local and did high quality converters and the car never did it again. I am assuming here that the converter bought was suppost to be correctly setup for your car weight, camshaft, and motor size (I'm not trying to be harsh or offend, but just want to confirm this). You have definitely gone through all the most probable suggestions for why your car is stalling like it is, so I thought I would put this out there.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
try putting it in nuetral before you stop to see if it is related to the trans or converter.the converters can go bad and cause stalling.the same can be caused by the trans not coasting down as you stop. putting it in nuetral will take it from the equation. some of the early cars had dashpots to slow the throttle closeing to avoid stalling. what rpm is it idleing in gear compared to in park/neutral.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Loose battery cable maybe? Mine was loose and sometimes at idle with the AC on or other high draw electrics on it shut off. Then it failed to start and I found the loose cable

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks one and all! I did have the transmission rebuilt January 2011. I will look into the converter. It has been stalling so long I can't remember when it started. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts