El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an 86 that sometimes seems to want to stall after I let off the gas. It happens a few times a day and only really happens while going around 40mph+. When I let off the gas it's like tapping on the brakes a bunch of times, know what I mean? I don't know if it's wanting to stall or what. I should also note that it sat for a year before I bought it, and that I failed my tank pressure and emissions test at the DMV. Also I'm getting the 'check engine' light here and there...particularly after going up hill, or traveling at higher speeds (ie: the highway etc.) Any ideas? I was also told that the alternater I bought may not have enough amps, since it sometimes takes a bit to start up. Could this cause it? I plan on doing a full tune up on it to see if it solves anything.

ps. the alternater is 12v 78 amps, the camino is a 4.3 V6

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would do the full tune up. airfilter, plugs, cap/rotor,( I usaully replace the coil too) ect. Inspect for vacuum leaks all around, don't forget brake booster. Probably help to change out o2 sensor if equipped. Be a good time to get that code read to see what error is causing it. I think your timing is electronically controlled but you may put on a timing light and see what it does. Does you engine just crank slow after shutting off (or sitting) or does it crank fast and just have trouble starting. If it cranks slow you could def have charging/battery problems, you can have both tested at advance/autozone for free. Good chance your problem will still exist but atleast you rule out the silly stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll probably get right on that tune up...but the engine cranks normally, just takes a little longer after sitting. Drove it to the beach and back down Rt1 last night (about a 2 hour trip from where I live) and the check engine light was on the whole way till I finally slowed down below 55 in town. I was always getting the 'stalling' feeling a right after the light went off like when approaching a toll.....so basically I've found that it only comes on above 55, then when I slow down it throws a fit for a minute and then is ok till next time. I'm hoping it's nothing too expensive

·
Registered
121 Posts
I really think that your stalling out problem sounds like something in the carburetor, possibly a constant lean condition. You said that it is a problem that occures at high speeds, this might be that you aren't getting enough gas to the carb either because of a stuck float, or fuel pump that can't keep up, ormaybe even a clogged fuel filter. (does this car have an electric fuel pump that might be having troulbe, could explain the starting issues) I would run some carb cleaner through the tank and see if that helps anything. This would also explain the check engine light if you have a constant lean condition. I would try and check that check engine light though. You may have a bad O2 sensor that is causing that. I am not very farmiliar with those computer controlled carbs though so someone else will have to fill in the gaps on that. If you do replace the plugs look at the ends and see if you can see anything on them that will tell you what is going on inside the engine.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg
The too hot is a result of running to lean.

On the alternator and battery level, take it to the parts store and have them do a free test on it. I doubt that the alternator has any trouble though.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Sounds like the TCC solenoid in the tranny needs to be replaced. Easy job, about an hr to do.
http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html
I agree. At and above 55 you should be in OD and slowing from 55 it should drop out of OD. Slipping and missing a shift sounds exactly like what you're describing. And that would illuminate the MIL (check engine light).

·
Registered
121 Posts
That would make since for a problem, try unplugging the wire to the transmission so the torque converter doesn't lock up and see if the problem goes away. That is an easy way to isolate that problem and see if it is the cause. I had an old chevy celebrity with over 200k miles and the torque converter would lock up and stay locked up even in first gear causing the engine to stall out when you came to a stop. Just unplugged it and didn't have lockup from then on out. I would recomend replacing the part though, it is much better for the trans and fuel economy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would say, most likely, it is just the voltage dipping from 14 to 12 volts because when you put it in reverse the rpm drops for a second. Only other thing that I can think of is possibly a loose/corroded battery cable. Wouldn't hurt to clean off the cables where they attach to the battery and coat them with dielectric grease before reassembly (that will keep the water out and prevent them from corroding again). This is just generally good maintenance. I don't think it is much to worry about though, at low RPM the alternator doesn't always provide enough current and the voltage can dip for a second, it's nothing bad, that is why there is a battery there to pick up the slack for a second or two every now and then.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm confused, do some g bodies not have lock up torque converters? i found an auto trans control solenoid for my 4.3, but they didnt have a lock up torque converter switch for anything other than a v8....i guess it's possible that they just happened to not carry it....also i dont really know what i'm talking about

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.