El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 82 has the 305 with 4 bbl rochester. Auto Trans. The AIR pump and all the plumbing are removed and, capped off/pluged at the exhuast manifolds. The EGR valve has been removed, replaced with a blockoff plate and EGR valve gasket. The vac hose to the EGR valve is pluged off. It runs fine,other that using a lot of fuel, but it idles very poor and stalls out at idle. What to do ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like its time to re build the carb.

1) could be runing rich because the EGR was removed. The fuel mixture
isn't being diluted with exhaust gas.

2) The inlet needle could be sticking or the float may have a hole in it.

3) The fuel wells may be leaking. this lets fuel leak into the intake. Q-jets are bad about this.

4) Check the timing .

5) Is the trans shifting different? It could be a vacuum problem. This would effect the vac-advance.

One more thought check the choke.

Hope I have helped. good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A couple things you might want to do or check:

1- When was the last time a tune up was done?

2- Might you possibly have an intake leak which would cause low or poor vacuum?

3- Could you be getting a vacuum leak at the new gasket where the EGR was?

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bad Idle Blues!?

Hey man,
I have an '81 with a 229 six. Had the same problem. Removed all the emission crap. Tore off the Rochester in favor of a manual choke Holley. Replaced the the ignition with a MSD 6-A module. Replaced the distributer, cap coil, wires and plugs. Ran different fuels and additives. After about 400 bucks and a week later. The bog and Idle stall returned. Don't waste you time or money on the exterior of the engine. Find a good shop to rebuild the bottom end. Which will help your slugs seal better than they did stock. Replace the cam which is probably as flat as honda cam. Then swap your Rochester for a nice holley or equivalent. Then I think it'll start and run for ya even if it's ten below.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts