El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thought I'd update a bit. Went through the harness, de pinning, pulling wires, fixing ends and slightly re routing, covered it with mesh type cover instead of using all convoluted type, added a fuse/relay center. All reinstalled on engine. Engine and trans installed without accessories yet but was pretty easy cause we took the front clip off too. I used imca universal type engine mounts (I'll try to get a Pic up of these, I've used them before in other projects, simple and give you a little adjustment up and down AND back and forth) with icm plates. Added the 87 4.3 sending unit to the tank with a walbro 255 pump, corvette regulator/filter. By passed the fuel rail regulator and capped the return.
Once I got the tank and fuel system tested and felt confident in it I put power to the ecm and starter and Varoom! Started right up, running smooth. Well for 40 to 45 seconds anyway. Wanted to make sure the engine was indeed going to run before going further. Now for the accessories, rad/fans, exhaust, front clip back on, driveline etc. But let me tell you as an old school Chevy small block guy, what a great feeling to turn an engine over, it start immediately and run great, no backfire, no retoothing the dizzi, no carb adjusting. Dam good feeling. So a big ole Thank you to everyone, I'm not done yet but at least up and running. Yes!!

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Mine had sat around quite a while (3 years) and didn't just start right up. The injectors were a bit stuck, so when it started it sounded kinda like a Harley for about a minute then the other cylinders chimed in one at a time until it smoothed out. Still wouldn't idle right because of the cam change. Had to kill it since the radiator wasn't in yet. The next time I turned the key though it lit up like it had been driven daily. Life is good! Congratulations!

Joe

41 - 45 of 45 Posts