El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Camino fans,
I have installed a new 350 engine I built for my wifes’ 81 SS.

I have a set of headers from Cyclone I used on my 79’ Camino back in the 90’s.
They are like new condition.

stock starter won’t fit between block and headers, so my local Parts store had in stock a GM mini starter.

My dilemma is it doesn’t bolt up to block. My block has threethreaded bolt holes to accommodate both bolt pattern starters. After comparing the stock starter and the mini starter side by side and looking at bolt patterns, I see the mini doesn’t match.
Gonna try to post some pics of starters and bottom of block.
Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Brian

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Try a local rebuilder-he’ll probably know what number you need and likely will stock it. (Take tge starter you know fits). Failing that, try the parts store again; most likely what you need does exist for some application. You may need to look through the picture book (and know the tooth count on your flexplate). Or just order one from Summit or Jegs.
Patrick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello fellow Camino fans,
I have installed a new 350 engine I built for my wifes’ 81 SS.

I have a set of headers from Cyclone I used on my 79’ Camino back in the 90’s.
They are like new condition.

stock starter won’t fit between block and headers, so my local Parts store had in stock a GM mini starter.

My dilemma is it doesn’t bolt up to block. My block has threethreaded bolt holes to accommodate both bolt pattern starters. After comparing the stock starter and the mini starter side by side and looking at bolt patterns, I see the mini doesn’t match.
Gonna try to post some pics of starters and bottom of block.
Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Brian
I used a mini starter on my 77 Corvette for the same reason. I installed headers so my OEM starter no longer fit in the smaller space. You do need to know the flex plate tooth count to make sure you have the correct starter. If you used the original flex plate off of the old engine and installed it on the new engine? The tooth count would be the same as the old set up. I encountered no issues installing a mini starter from Summit on to the new GM Performance engine I installed. Nothing should have changed from the old 5.0 to the new 5.7 engine as far as where the bolt holes are located in the block for the starter?

Could it be the auto parts store has a starter marked for a chevy small block that had been put in the wrong box? It might be a stock GM starter? But....... Is it supposed to fit a small block GM? Show the people at the auto parts store your old starter bolt hole configuration so they can see what you are talking about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts