El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally need to rebuild my starter on my '77 Super Sport after nearly 40 years of service!

Does anyone have an overview of removing this starter?

In inspecting the starter area, it is much tighter than I expected for removal of the starter.
There is a stabilizing bar as well as the exhaust pipe that will hinder removal. I assume the bar needs to be removed out of the way. Do I need to drop the exhaust pipe from the manifold to get the starter out? I hope not! There is also a small back brace on the starter to the engine. Does that need to be removed from the starter side?
I'm feeling about as old and stiff as some of these bolts I'm looking at wrenching on. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

-Don

P.S. I bought my Super Sport in '78 with 5k miles on it, it now has 110K miles, and has toured much of the US. I still use the original keys.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..it's not that hard to remove the starter, yes that little bar need to be unbolted from the block, remove the starter bolts and the starter will drop on the exhaust pipe,let it rest there as you undo the wires. once the wires removed, then start jiggling the starter out, you may to move the tranny lines out of the way, but, it will drop out.:dontknow:

.. as far as being " old and stiff "..welcome to the club.!.. do what some of these guys do, go out and find a young buck, that has some muscle and a strong back,repay him in beer,cause he's getting an education in automotive and brew-mister.:bigups:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,530 Posts
x2...it's not too hard if you still have the factory exhaust manifolds. Now, long tube headers are a different story. Ask me how I know about that!

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but it bears repeating for anyone else reading this: disconnect your battery first or a light show and improvizational dance may be in your future!

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
X2 on working around long tube headers on a '77 ! On mine I had to drop the header on that side, and get the starter and header back up together, a real wrestling match for sure...
Best advice for the starter is to get a light-weight later GM starter. or a Power Master, which is smaller & much lighter than the OEM GM heavy part.
When getting older, the GM starter weighs twice as much as when we were young !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts