El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:texas:Hi guys i was looking around for ideas and have decided that i want to go towards the pro touring end of the spectrum for my el camino i am on a 1000 budget for this month what are some ideas to get me started i currently dont like the body roll so i wanna start on that. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
You are going to need to enlarge the rear wheel wells, so when you do, you'll also be modifying the suspension. So, the first task is to find a narrowed rear end for the truck. Once it is in place and you see how it handles, you'll know what you'll want to do to the front end.

·
Senior Member Participating Member
814 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
suspension(front & rear), wheels/tires/narrow rear-end as kerno suggested (this may also requires you to notch your frame, depending on how wide you go), then its time to start with the engine/trans. this is a very expensive route, the suspension alone will blow through your $1000 in a hurry. plan it in stages and search craigslist/ebay and swapmeets to save money on parts. good luck and enjoy the project!

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
From what I know pro touring builds are focused on two things
1) making it handle like a sports car
2) having a deep pocket lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol i know i need deep pockets lol but this is a project i plan on taking in stages like cash money suggested but what, in your respective opinions, should be my first step :nanawrench:

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
Definitely suspension because it is going to be the most expensive and time consuming. Then in between stages of no to little money you can do stuff like body work and stuff like that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok for the suspension i need to drop it about 2 in all around, replace all the bushings, add a front and rear sway bar, do i need to replace the upper and lower control arms? What is meant by a narrowed rear end? Is required or recommended that i add rear disk brakes? Is there anything else im missing as far as suspension goes? Thanks for your advice beforehand! :nanawrench: :You_Rock:

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Pro touring does not mean deep pockets well for some it does . My car is a pro touring car and it can be done on a budget . Circle track parts are cheap and work very well on a pro touring build . If you want a 12.7 fast ratio steering find a 85 and up ss monte carlo . The sway bars i think will work also . Alot of guys are machining the rotor off and usining it as a hub to install c5 and c6 corvette front brakes . A lot of your build can be from u pull it wrecking yards .
Ub machine has nice front upper and lower control arms for dirt cheap . southwest speed has coil springs at whatever spring rate you want for 34.00 each I have said it in other posts but the 1998 to 2002 camaro and trans am rear disc brakes are a bolt on for your car and a complete set up can be purchased from 100.00 to 200.00 on ebay thats everything . My car uses bmw 5 series 19" wheels that i got for 600.00 for complete set .
For 1000.00 dollars you can easily do front suspension springs steering box and sway bars.
I have about 2800. in my complete braking set up springs control arms steering box and rebuilt 12 bolt rearend . i used a jeep grand cherokee box for my application . I hit the u pull it wrecking yards every couple of weeks .
Tim

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Already a bunch of good pointers. I'm going the pro-tour route myself... maybe I should call it amature-tour :dontknow:.

Changing out the springs can have a profound effect on the handling. Higher spring rates will flatten the cornering and the sway bars then only have to keep things stable. I've been hovering on the button to purchase some Hotchkis or Global West front lowering springs (their rear springs aren't strong enough for the EL Camino without supplemental air bags). Those are about 500 in/lb rating. Then I found that Moog 5536 springs have 487 in/lb rating and are nearly 1/2 the price (they're stock heigh though). So many choices out there so I've been waffling on the decision. I've already got new control arms and sway bars - front and rear - sitting in boxes. I just need the springs now. Already stated too, change out the shocks for some designed for performance.

You can easily do the springs and shocks (maybe even sway bars) for that $1000 budget, so I'd look at starting there. You can get those fancy tubular control arms at a later time. New control arms don't really improve the handling, but they are stronger and sometimes alter the geometry (improved caster angle) making getting a performance-oriented alignment easier. That'll change how it steers, but not handle.

I recently purchased a book titled "How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle" by Mark Savistske (owner of www.scandc.com referenced above). Very interesting reading. It covers a lot of technical details about roll center, instant center, geometry (pick up points), springs, steering, etc. Get it on Amazon for about $16. It's money well spent as you can make much better informed decisions about what you're looking for. I wish I had waited on buying some items until after I had read the book (but that was months apart unfortunately).

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Try southwest speed for springs i am using 750lbs front and 175 lbs rear the springs are far shorter but i used weght jack set up so i can change my ride height and use rear springs with one pigtail on springs . Front and rear springs with adjustable spacers cost 244.00 shipped to my door . 500 lbs front springs are pretty soft still most run between 650 to even 850 lbs springs . And i forgot to add contact mark at sc&c he has tall howe ball joints and spc upper control arms to correct the factory geometry . It allows caster and camber settings that will make you think your driving a new vette .Its night and day difference he is a talker though so have some time to spare .
Tim

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Somehow I missed this post or I would have done this sooner.Check this site out as they are dedicated to pro touring,maybe you can get some ideas and come back and show us what you have going.Who knows you might gain some fans that want to join you in your endeavor and you can bounce things off each other directly.
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum.php?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Our suspension system really isnt too bad... With the proper upgrades from global west, they can be made to handle well. About ten years ago I watched an '86 Elky that had been built by some trade-school guys, spank all over some vettes and mustangs at an autocross event. The mods? Just about everything Global west sells for these cars, some sticky/wide slicks, fiberglass tailgate, 575ci aluminum big block, 6-speed and a roll cage. the thing was awesome!

Pro-touring, to me means: Low. High horsepower. Wide tires (Gotta tuck under the wheel-wells.) Very little chrome.

You may not have to narrow your rear-end... I will be using 12" wide Z-06 wheels on my rear (9" ur front.) But because the back spacing on the vette wheels is so extreme, i will probably have to use a 1" or more, spacer/adaptor. I will, most likely, have to mini-tub the rear wheel wells though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dang missed the craigslist ad anybody save pics of it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Love this thread. The wealth of useful information shared here by guys far more knowledgable than myself awesome... so exciting to think about the possibilities for my fifth gen. Has anyone else got any further advice or resources for pro-touring mods to a G body? Budget or otherwise?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts